Cachinnate

a/n: sorry this chapter is late but hope you're doing well and staying safe!! this chapter is about patronuses so all the forms and why i picked them are at the end!

The next day, Harry was in his Dark Arts class and desperately regretting waking up in the morning. Breakfast had been fine, and so had Charms, but then he got to the DADA classroom and saw the blackboard with Patronus Charm written on it in blocky letters and the surprisingly visible Dark Lord in the back corner writing something on a long parchment. Harry sighed and dropped his forehead on Hermione's shoulder. Draco just patted his head sympathetically and led them to a seat in the front of the classroom.

"The Patronus Charm, " Professor Escrivá stated, rapping a knuckle on the blackboard, "Now, Mr. Finnegan, why are you learning this spell here, not in Charms class?"

Seamus Finnegan cleared his throat before saying, "The Patronus Charm is used as a defense against Dark Creatures such as Dementors and Lethifolds, so it would fall under learning about the Dark Arts."

"Correct, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Ms. Dunbar, can you help him out?"

The girl looked a little lost before hesitantly responding, "Because it's a Dark Spell?"

Professor Escrivá looked pleased and said, "Take three points, Ms. Dunbar. It is, actually, a Dark Spell. Mr. Macmillan, can you tell me why?"

"It is considered a Dark Spell because it relies on inner magic and is influenced by your emotions, even though you need to think happy thoughts."

"Take three points, Mr. Macmillan. As you learned back in your first year, Light Magic uses latent magic and intent. Grey Magic uses either latent magic and emotion or inner magic and intent, and Dark Magic uses inner magic and emotion. You will with Light Magic, but you have to want Dark Magic. To cast a Patronus, you cast with inner magic and emotion, making it a Dark Spell. Now, Ms. Greengrass, can you tell us the incantation for the Patronus Charm ?"

"Certainly, Professor Escrivá. The incantation is expecto patronum. "

"Wonderful, take three points. Mr. Malfoy, can you tell me the wand movement?"

"Like the majority of Dark Spells, the Patronus Charm doesn't require a specific wand motion to cast a corporeal spell or mist, but to cast a shield, and you move it down and up in a U shape three times."

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy, take three points. For this class, you will practice the spell with a partner or partners of your choice. To cast, you must think of what makes you happiest, not just happy. By the end of class today, you should be able to cast the mist for an A, the shield for an EE, and a corporeal Patronus for an O. There will be a quiz about Patronuses on Thursday, and to get full marks, you will be expected to cast a corporeal Patronus. Now, get casting!"

Hermione, Harry, and Draco paired up, cast a privacy spell, and began brainstorming happy memories. They were soon cackling while reminiscing and were in the right headspace to learn the Patronus Charm.

Hermione was the first to cast, and, thoughts filled with her two best friends, she cast, " Expecto patronum!"

She only managed a thin stream of mist, but Harry and Draco clapped enthusiastically, and both tried at the same time. Harry cast a slightly larger stream of mist, but Draco didn't cast anything at all. He did a second time. They all looked at each other excitedly and then giggled at their absurd enthusiasm (well, Hermione and Harry laughed, and Draco 'chuckled'--he was the only one who giggled).

Halfway through class, everyone had managed to cast the mist, and Harry, Draco, Hermione, Cho, Susan, Lavender, Blaise, Hannah, Greengrass, Nott, Weasley, Dunbar, and Jones had all managed to cast a shield.