4

Litchfield hasn't been as bad as I expected. Maybe that's because I have an advantage here though. Assigned to one of the best jobs and I'm just one of the quiet little white girls. COs leave me alone got the most part because they see no reason to bother me and I do my absolute best to keep it that way. And yeah, I'm not exactly Red's favorite by any means but she doesn't hate me either. And that's the part that matters to me. The closing of the kitchen door snaps me out of my thoughts. Please don't be Pornstache. I look over, letting out a sigh of relief. It's just one of Red's girls, Morello.

    Her dark curls bounce around her shoulders as she walks, lips in a tight smile. "Red in her office?" "Yes ma'am," my words come out somewhere between a hum and a perky little statement. "Thanks, Washington," she turns the corner to Red's office, disappearing from my view. I turn back to the dishes that I was washing when she entered the room. Their conversation is loud enough for me to hear it meaning it couldn't be overly important or personal. Morello seems to be asking about tonight's dinner plans, hoping she can add a change to the menu. It's silly, Red hates changing the menu this late, she of all people should know that. "What are you trying to change Lorna? I am a very busy woman."

      "That new girl, Watson, she just got back from the SHU. She asked if there was a way you could make real mashed potatoes tonight instead of the boxed kind." Janae is back? That's great, I wonder how she's doing? "Potatoes take man power, Lorna." I take my hands out of the dish water, flipping them to drip off the water before wiping them on a stray rag. "I knew it was a long shot but I didn't want to say that I didn't try to get them." The two women walk out of the office, entering the main kitchen.

    "Red?" She turns to me, one eyebrow raised as if to ask me what I want. "I don't mean to intrude but if you need man power, I would be willing to spend the afternoon peeling for you." God, Brielle you just sounded so eager. No way she's going to say yes. "Why do you think I would want your help?" "I was in culinary school before I got arrested," I look down, too nervous to meet her eyes, "I know I'm not one of the people you would usually get for a job like this but Watson is one of my sister's friends." She sighs, "Go get me some bags of potatoes from the pantry." Oh my god! Red is actually going to let me help her! I'm a little too giddy as I walk to the pantry. It's embarrassing how excited I am to just peel some potatoes.

    Morello was gone when I got back with the potatoes. Doesn't bother me much, she's always so, perky. It feels almost animated and definitely inappropriate for our environment. Red is getting out two knives, point me to one of the large, metal tables in the room. "So Washington, this Watson girl is a friend?" I shake my head, sitting down the bags, "I wouldn't call us friends, exactly." She makes her way over to the table, "But you like her, no?" I pause, like her how? I think she's pretty I guess? But she doesn't necessarily like me either so would I say I like her? "We have more of a," I pause, "I show her niceties when she needs them then she doesn't look at me in group settings." Red shakes her head, sliding a knife across the table to me, "So is this one of those niceties? Helping make sure she gets those potatoes she wants?"

    I let out a dry laugh, picking up the knife with the shake of my head, "Yeah I guess it is one of them. I might just feel bad for her you know? I'm sure SHU is awful." "One of my girls was down there for over a month, your friend will be okay." The conversation between us falls flat. Despite the silence, the energy between us is more peaceful than its ever been. I wonder which girl got sent down there? It definitely wasn't Morello, she's too perky to have gone through that. Possibly Nicky? She seems strong enough to go through that and survive. Possibly Boo but is she really one of Red's main girls? Mercy or Tricia could have but it could be any of them really.

———-

     "Washington! You're done, go eat. Great work today." Red doesn't have to tell me twice. I've been on my feet all day and I'm completely exhausted. The line is pretty short by the time I get there. I fall in line behind Norma, she's probably my favorite person in the kitchen crew. "Evening Norma." She smiles over at me, giving me a slight wave. "Heard any good gossip recently? I know you have everyone's secrets." She shakes her head, playfully 'zipping' her lips. I smile back at her, giggling softly. We both grab our trays, turning away from the counter. "See you in the morning!" Parting ways, I turn towards my normal table. She's sitting there, in her spot across from P as beside Cindy, laughing at something the woman beside her said. God this is nice to see after so long. The smile that spreads across my face is involuntary as I fall into the seat across from my bunk mate.

    "What you so happy about, Bluebird?" "It's just a nice to see you back, Watson." She gives me a soft smile, "Thanks." Something about her seems, wrong. She seems almost softer now as if SHU killed that fighting spirit that normally blossoms out of her. That's the softest she's ever spoken to me. And the most she's said to me in front of people since the day we met. Regardless of her outward appearance, it's good to see her. Even if we aren't really friends.

  "Where have you been  all day, B? We were all looking for you. We had a little welcome party for Janae and no one could find you." I turn to Taystee, giving her a smile, "I have been in the kitchen since before breakfast prep started. Last time I got to sit was when I was eating breakfast." "God girl, Red's working you down to the bone," she laughs, twirling her spoon in her hand. "Little Cinderella treatment. You're not her stepdaughter but I could see a world where Red took you in," Poussey shakes her head. "I got to peel potatoes today! It's the second time she's let me touch uncooked food since I got here." "She don't let you touch food?" Poussey scoffs, "Man you know Red don't let you do shit until you eat her trust in that Kitchen," she takes a spoonful of potatoes, "Was it everything you dreamed of Bre?" "It felt so good to actually do something other than clean and serve for once," I grab a spoonful too, proud of my work even if it wasn't much.  Despite the fact that I am exhausted, today was a good day. I zone out, thinking about the day, even if my feet feel like they're part of my boots, I'm happy.

    An elbow hits my side, "Hey, penny for your thoughts?" "I'm not really thinking all that much P. I'm too tired to think." She lays her head on my shoulder, "I know when you're all deep in thought, Brielle." I shake my head, "I just had a good day. You know for a day in prison." She nods, "You need to eat, you need your strength." "I'm an adult, P." She hums, "Then act like one and eat." "I'm too tired to eat, Mother." "I am not the mom." I give her a playful scoff, lifting up another spoonful of potatoes.  My eyes travel to Janae who's listening to Cindy explain everything that's happened since she left. Maybe things can become a new normal.