Chapter IV: Be On The Lookout.

ignore any errors, lol.

SATURDAY NIGHT
around 9:35 PM.

    After the fellas and I had a long winded debate about if we should actually catch Brooke outside the club, they finally gave in. Well, Bobby and Ralph were down from the beginning. It was Slick and Mike who were acting as if they didn't even want to make this group thing work.

I decided to hold off on the singing tonight—let the boys draw Brooke in.

   "Who's doing all the talking?" I asked as we all crouched down behind some busted Lincoln.

"You the one with the plan—you go spit." Mike suggested. The fellas agreed as I thought about it before agreeing as well.

"And when Mr Brooke get out here, don't be scared." Bobby told everyone. That's funny for him to say since he's the one who damn near pissed his pants Friday night. "Ain't nobody scared." Ricky said with a hint of annoyance as Bobby smacked his teeth.

I swiftly checked my watch, it was about five minutes after the club closed. That's when Brooke slid out the back door with this slim dark woman. She had straight hair that was cut at the neck with a short sequined dress on. A neck turner definitely—since I could see her cheeks poking from the bottom.

"Damn. Brooke got it like that?" The boys cooed.

I chuckled before walking rapidly over to the two adults. "Hey, you're Brooke Payne right?" I asked softly. The both of them turned to look down at me with confused expressions—to be expected. When he turned his head, looking down at me, that's when I put a face to a name from earlier.

     That's who he was! Brooke Payne. I remember him at one of my father's formal parties with a few guys who sang for the party. I was introduced to him as well as my mother and four other siblings—however I was around eight and quite tired of shaking hands and meeting faces I wouldn't remember.

That wasn't the case now though. It all fit like a puzzle; he was their manager and booked the party for them. They sounded and looked fly. I know he could take my friends to the next level.

    "Do I know you?" Brooke questioned with the lady on his hip. He looked as if he was in deep thought but that could've been the buzz he got from the cigarette.

   I shrugged, "Karyn. We met at my father's party in seventy-four." I said casually. "Clarence White."

His eyebrows raised before he pointed. "You Lola's little girl. What you doin' around here this time of the night?"

Him dismissing my father's name and instantly going to mama's hit me for a split second before I answered him, "My friends." I turned around and waved them to come over. "We want to start our own singing group and we were wondering if you could manage us."

He looked at me then to all the fellas running up. "Woah, woah. I don't work with kids." We all groaned, smacked our teeth, and complained. "There's talent here, Brooke!" I expressed.

"We got potential!" Mike added. "Come on." We all watched as opened his car door, letting the lady in first. We came closer to his car like it was a Martin Luther King protest. I wasn't taking no for an answer tonight— this was my shot to prove to my father that I could be just as successful as my other siblings. This could relieve his stress. . Make mama happy. .This had to work.