A Golden Suprise

At breakfast time in the common room, Harry had already planned his invitation. Sitting at the Gryffindor table he was again watching to see when a certain Slytherin appeared.

"Have you seen Ron, Harry?" asked Hermione at his side.

"When I arrived at the dorm yesterday he wasn't there, and he left early today too, I think. I haven't seen him yet." Hermione frowned and went back to talking to Ginny. He soon heard her telling what happened in the library to their friend who seemed surprised. The brunette was a little embarrassed but laughed inside at Hermione's stress as she spoke in harmony of the houses. Ginny smiled at Harry and nodded to the side looking at another table.

If she only knew.

When Harry looked at the direction of Ginny's gaze he saw Draco arriving at the Slytherin table, and quickly as he sat down, his eyes met Harry's. With an ice in his stomach, Harry was almost smiling but paused when he noticed Pansy turning to see what Draco was looking at.

She will see it soon enough. Thought Harry.

Malfoy's eyes were bright and humorous as he picked up his food. And Harry went back to eating his own so he wouldn't be caught staring. As he ran his nervous, sweaty hands on his pants, he focused his gaze back on the Gryffindor table and saw Ginny smirking.

Soon everyone's attention went to the owls that entered the room bringing mail and deliveries.

"If I see another explosive heart card ..." said Ron finally appearing on the Gryffindor table as he watched the owls flying between the tables.

"Wow Ron, where were you!?" Hermione asked in exasperation.

"Hello to you too!" he exclaimed avoiding her eyes"I just got up early to get some air." he said, as if it was nothing. Harry and Hermione looked at each other with matching frowns on their faces. If there was one thing that Harry had learned right when he met the redhead, it was that he didn't know how to lie very, well and that he certainly didn't wake up early without being almost carried to class. Hermione snorted, surely coming to the same conclusion.

"But ..." she continued, however Harry didn't hear the rest of the conversation after he finally spotted Hedwig arriving at the great hall.

And as he had planned, she didn't come towards him.

His owl was well known and some people found it strange that she didn't fly straight to the Gryffindor table towards the boy who lived twice, and instead stopped in front of none other than Draco Malfoy.

The blonde himself was looking straight at Harry, who was trying to hide his smile with his hand.

Hedwig was carrying a small box and was hovering in front of the blonde.

Harry was sure Malfoy was thinking that he would have placed an explosive invitation there, as he was still staring at Harry in disbelief as if he had put a howler in the box. Hedwig paced around the table pecking the blonde's food, and across the room Harry could feel the look of Hermione, the Gryffindor table and most of the Great Hall trying to see what was going on.

From the top of the box, Draco took out a card. Harry remembered writing several times to try to make the handwriting more pretty and readable.

Malfoy wore a little amused smile while reading it but Harry could also see him frowning with confusion. When he looked back at the box, just in time, a snitch came out of it. Harry celebrated inside that the spell had worked. He imagined that Malfoy would enjoy the attention even without a card full of hearts, and that is what he did.

The Snitch hovered in front of Malfoy, who soon caught it easily with his seeker reflexes. He opened his hand, reading the question that the Gryffindor knew was written on the snitch's wings. Pansy practically threw herself on the table to see the snitch but Malfoy put it away quickly. When the blonde glanced around and noticed the attention of the whole room he simply took Harry's note and wrote on the back, giving the message to Hedwig. And to everyone's amazement, she came straight to Harry.

You could hear a pin drop in the hall as everyone watched the owl arrive in the gryffindor table.

Swallowing the nervous knot in his throat, Harry petted his owl and took off the paper. He felt the expectation of his colleagues as he opened it and his own heart felt like it was going to come out of his chest.

He was totally blind to a ravenclaw and a gryffindor laughing softly at the exchange.

"Yes what, Harry?" Hermione asked on his shoulder, managing to read what was written, but Harry was smiling too much to mind or answer his friend.

——————

After the commotion of the great hall, Harry finally had time to think about everything that had happened. Malfoy had agreed to go to the dance with him and his friends were frantic. Surprisingly, Ron was the most calm and helped to get a curious and confused Hermione off her best friend.

"Let him breathe, Mione!"

"But ... I thought they hated each other, and Harry doesn't want to tell me what was on that card!"

"An apology. Right, Harry?" helped the ginger.

"Er ... yeah." said Harry, walking quickly to the safety of his bed. Ron came in soon after.

"Harry?" Ron called softly.

"What?"

"You invited him to the dance, didn't you?" asked the redhead in a low voice. Harry couldn't contain the smile he opened for his friend.

"Thank Merlin! Good! I couldn't take the 'Malfoy this, Malfoy that ...' thing any more." "Ron said in a small voice to mock his friend.

Harry himself couldn't care, he was delirious with happiness. He ended up telling about the prank on Hermione and Pansy and only counting a bit about the mistletoe.

"Since we're being honest—where have you been getting into lately, Ronald Weasley?" asked Harry with a raised eyebrow.

"Me?..."

"And I think it has something to do with Zabini ..." continued the brunette.

"Argh ..." Ronny exclaimed with his head buried in his pillow.

"He's not that bad ..." he replied lifting the pillow and showing his flushed cheeks.

I've heard that before ...

"I bet ..." said Harry, getting a pillow thrown in his face as a reply.

Sleep again didn't come easy for Harry, at least his nightmares had left him alone. He kept turning from side to side thinking, and mostly remembering the invitation. The pink cheeks on a pale porcelain skin and smile of the Slytherin. He couldn't contain his anxiety for the ball.

"Harry?" he heard in the darkness of the room.

"Hmm?"

"I think I found someone to go to the dance with me too ..." said Ron so quietly that Harry could had imagined the words.

"Does this mean that you have to find another dress robe?" whispered the brunette back.

"Oh no! how did I forget that!" Ronny lamented and the two laughed, falling asleep soon after.