Chapter 5

Lily's POV

I woke up the next day, feeling all better. Andres left last night after watching tons of movies then I fell asleep. I got up and took a shower without struggling to do so and brushed my teeth.

I got dressed and ate some cereal before heading to the orphanage. I had to check on workers there to see if everything is fine. I was worried about the kids. Anything could happen on that construction sight.

While I was driving, Tina called me.
''Hello?''
''Lily, how are you? Are you feeling okay now?'' She asked me.
''Yes, I'm great and just heading to the orphanage.''
''You should've stayed at home to rest a bit more. How could you go to work?'' She huffed in annoyance.

''I'll be fine. You don't have to worry.'' I reassured her.
''Fine. I planned to visit you this afternoon.'' She said.
''Sure. I'll be back home by 3.'' I said.
''Cool then. I'm going to bath Emma now. See you soon then.'' She said.
''Bye.''

I made a turn to the orphanage where I saw a black van in front of it. It looked unfamiliar to me until I saw the familiar woman. She is the reporter I always see on TV. What's going on?

I got out of the car, taking my purse. I also noticed Andres smiling at her and answering her questions. I was confused at what they were talking about.

''What are they doing here?'' I asked, approaching them.
''Here is the director of the orphanage, Miss Barnes.'' Andres said. Who allowed him to introduce me? I was so pissed off at this.

''Good day, Miss Barnes. We're from All Headline News. This year your orphanage has been chosen for the project Mr. Torres provides. How do you feel about this?'' She asked me. How do they get to be so nosy?

''I need to talk with Mr. Torres first. Excuse us.'' I said and pulled him by his sleeve inside the orphanage. We went to my office, far from wandering eyes.

Once I closed the door, I slapped him across his face.
''How could you do this to me?'' I snapped.
''I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier.'' He said. I don't care if he was feeling guilty, I was hurt with his actions.

''You brought reporters here just so you could act like you are doing good deed. Well, sorry to tell you we're not charity case. You wanted to help, I let you. But the kids don't need to be pitied by the other people. I don't want to let anybody to pity the kids and their living conditions. And you did just that by calling that reporters here. Just so you could feel greater.'' I said, poking his chest.

He went silent after my snapping. How could he let this happen? I'm so angry at him that I might slap him again. I don't want kids to be affected by these reporters. Because I already know this feeling. To feel degraded and pitied by someone.

''I'm sorry. I didn't know it would affect you like this. But they have been following the projects I have been doing every year. And I couldn't reject them. How do you think they will think about me if I rejected their offer?''

''I do not care.'' I put the emphasize on each word. ''You only think how you'll look in society. But I don't care about that. So please, go down and tell them to leave nicely or I'll do it my way.''

''But why can't you just answer few of their question and they will be gone.'' He tried to convince me.
''Andres, I said no.'' I told him, crossing the arms on my chest.

He got closer and put his hand on my waist. That made my heart sped up.
''Just few questions. For me.'' He pleaded. I liked to see him plead. It was satisfying. He gave me light squeeze on my waist.
''Since when do I do things for you?'' I deadpanned.

''You can start of today, babydoll.'' He smirked. I took a deep breath to control my eratic heart. But I gave in.
''Fine. Just few questions and I want them gone.'' I said. He smiled and kissed the crown of my head, making me blush.

We went downstairs where reporters waited. They asked me a few questions regarding my postion and the orphanage because Andres told them like that. After half and hour, they were really gone.

''See? That wasn't hard.'' Andres said, proudly.
''Save it.'' I brushed him off. Before I made a step, he wrapped his arm around me and turned me to face him. He put his hand on my forehead like he did yesterday.

''You don't have a fever anymore, but your face is a little bit reddish. Are you okay?'' He asked me. If that could be possible, I started blushing more.
''Yeah, I'm okay.'' I said, moving from his grip.
''Okay then. I need to go back to work. Thank you for doing this today.''

''Your welcome, but I'm still mad at you.'' I said. He chuckled a bit.
''Yeah, I know, babydoll.''
''Bye.'' I said, waving him a little.
''Bye.''

****

I was back at my apartment and tried baking some cookies. They were not the best, but I still put an effort to be good. They were edible at least.

Knock on the door interrupted me when I was taking out the cookies. I set them on the counter top and went to open the door.

''Do I smell cookies?'' Tina said as she emerged in my home with the little bean.
''I just took them out of the oven.'' I said, closing the door after her.

She set Emma's bag on the couch and ploped on it. I went to the kitchen and filled two glasses with coke for us. I also served us cookies on the plate before taking everything in the living room.

''I tried, but they will never be good as yours.'' I said, talking about the cookies.
''If you don't try, you'll never learn. Is that right, Emma?'' She cooed at her daughter. She could only giggle, not quite understanding what was she saying.

I took her in my arms and kissed her chubby cheeks. I love how squishy she is. Tina immediately went for the cookies and started eating.
''You're gaining weight again.'' I said, when it dawned on me.

''Are you...'' I didn't dare to finish that sentence. She smiled as she finished chewing.
''Pregnant again? Yes. Does Theo know? Not yet, I plan to surprise him. When did I found out? Three days ago after noticing my period is missing for two weeks now and I started feeling sick.'' She explained.

I gawked at her wide eyed. My best friend is pregnant again and I couldn't be more happier.
''Are you excited?'' I asked. She squealed and nodded her head.
''Very. I can't believe I'm becoming a mom again.''

I laughed at her face. She looked so excited and happy. That made me happy too. But I was feeling sad all of a sudden.
''What's wrong, Lily?'' She asked me. I kept bouncing Emma on my leg.

''You will be a mom of two at the age of 23. And you're a great mom. I'm sometimes scared that I won't be a good mom as you are.'' I said. She gave me a smile.
''I believe that you will be better mom than me. You know kids the best. You're great with other kids, but you will be amazing with your own.'' She said.

Her words brought me a relief and comfort. I hope I'll be a good mom. I'm just scared of that thought generally.
''What do you think you'll have now?'' I asked, indicating on the gender.
''I think this baby might be a boy. I just got that feeling. Or should I say mother instinct.'' She chuckled.

''I forgot to tell you.'' She stated suddenly.
''What?''
''The day after tomorrow, I was going to give Emma to my mom. She wanted to spend some time with her. And I agreed with Theo that we, and by we I mean me, you, Theo and Andres, should go to the club. All together. It should be fun.'' She explained.

''And Andres too?'' I asked, like I didn't care, but it came out completely opposite.
''Obviously. It would be bad for Theo to stay alone if we have girls time there.'' She said.
''Oh, okay.'' I said. We continued talking, but I was thinking about the day after tomorrow.