4

"Hey, so I was thinking-" Tom was going to suggest grabbing a bite for breakfast together, being somewhat hungry himself, but when he looked up y/n had already packed her things and was on her way to the stairs, following the other students out the door.

Tom sank back down into his seat.

"Any problems, Mr Holland?" Tom's head shot forward to see professor Dowling looking up at him. When he looked around, he saw he was the only one who had not started packing up.

"No, everything's alright, sir," Tom said before getting up with his laptop. "Great lecture. Learned a lot... and stuff."

"Good, good," Dowling said. His glasses were slipping off his nose slightly, so he pushed them back up with his middle finger. "I did not expect you to have heard anything, by the way you and miss y/n were chatting."

The professor's words made Tom's cheek burn up as he pushed the laptop back into its place in his bag. That man saw everything.Suddenly he felt as if he was in middle school again.

"Try to not make it a habit."

"No, sir," Tom said.

Dowling just nodded, meaning the conversation had ended and giving Tom permission to sprint out of the room.

He wasn't sure why he was in such a hurry. Maybe he was hoping to find y/n waiting outside the doors. He didn't even know why he wanted to see her there. He just did. He had this urge just to watch her doodle in that notebook of hers. There was something so endearing about it.

Alas, no one was waiting for him outside that door. Or even in the proximity of it. There was no one but groups of students making their way from and to class.

Then, Tom realised that she must have run off to the cafeteria. Still, he decided against going there. As much as he wanted to talk to y/n again, he didn't want to come off stalkerish. Besides, they'd have another class tomorrow. He could speak to her then.

"Ayo! Holland!" Tom looked over to a group of people he recognised to be his friends. They were gathered around one of the large windows that was open in the hallway. He waved to them before making his way over.

"What's up, man? You looked like a lost puppy." Jacob said.

"No nothing, I just zoned out a little, I guess." Tom shook his head, clearing it off thoughts of y/n.

"Well, we were thinking," his best friend and fellow Delta Kappa resident, Harrison joined in on the conversation, "There is this new bar opening next week. The... something- shit, what's it called again?" He looked over at the rest of the group.

"The Sterling," it was Zendaya that answered. She was sitting on the window sill with both legs in front of her, not living much space for anyone else to sit. She had something between her fingers, and Tom could not make out if it were a regular cigarette or a joint. (The smell insinuated at nicotine, so that answered for itself.) The fact that they were on campus did not make much difference to them. She took a drag and blew the smoke out, before handing it to Harrison.

"So, Holland, you're in?"

"Yeah of course." There's nothing like the hysteria of drinking yourself sick in some new dingy place across campus. A new one would open up every few months because its predecessor would get shut down after too many accounts of selling alcohol to minors. It had almost become a game for younger students to see how quickly they can destroy a business. Tom and Harrison had been record holders for a while. Five weeks. Tom wasn't exactly sure how anyone could tell they were the reason for The Six-Ball to close, but it didn't matter. ("With a name like that, they deserve to shut down," Harrison had joked before ordering two Long Island Iced Teas.)

Now that they were of the legal drinking age, of course, maybe it wasn't as fun to go to those shitty holes in the wall, but with the right people, they made it a party every time.

"Nice! So-" Jacob started talking about how he thought the night had to go, but Tom was already zoned out again. Between Zendaya and Harrison, he had the perfect view of the small grass field. Some people had sat down there with their friends to enjoy the midday, but most people still considered it too cold to sit outside. But what Tom was looking at was behind the grass field. It was the cafeteria doors. He saw that large sweater again. y/n walked out, holding something that looked like a sandwich. Tom smiled to himself.

"What are you smiling about?" He got nudged in the ribs by someone.

"Oh, you know, the uhm-" he had no idea what the rest of his friends had been talking about to include in his lie.

"I know," Harrison said, lounging his arm across Tom's shoulder to point in the same direction that Tom had been looking at. Tom froze up when he pointed straight at y/n with his finger.

"Angela Pikowski."

"What?" It took Tom a second, but indeed, right in front of y/n, stood Angela with her own group of friends. She laughed at something, whipping her bottle bleached blonde hair across her shoulder. He understood too, how Harrison had caught her so quickly in his vision, for she had her jacket open and her shirt was pretty tight and low cut. How did that girl not catch pneumonia or some shit?

"You ain't slick, bro." Harrison patted him on the back. Tom, not wanting to get into it more than he needed, just grinned awkwardly. When he looked out into the square, Angela still stood there, but y/n was gone.