𝙸. 𝚆𝙷𝙰𝚃 𝚂𝙷𝙴 𝚂𝙰𝚈𝚂,𝙶𝙾𝙴𝚂

Stevie sat upright in her bed, her knees tucked to her chest and a worn copy of  'little women'  rested in between them, the yellowing pages held gently between her index finger and thumb

Stevie sat upright in her bed, her knees tucked to her chest and a worn copy of 'little women' rested in between them, the yellowing pages held gently between her index finger and thumb. A warm breeze filtered in through the open window as music flowed from the headphones of her walkman, into her mind.

The young girl spent many summers like this. While other kids her age spent their time outside and making memories of firework filled July's, she was inside reading or waiting for another letter from her sister. Craving an update from the world she longed to be apart of, the only fun memories she had were being lived vicariously through her sister and hazy dreams. Stevie always wondered what her life would've been like if she had been like her sister, or if Sadie hadn't been how she is; a magical, wonderful person. Maybe Stevie wouldn't be homeschooled, kept away from society so to not spill the secrets of another world.

Her mind had wondered so far from the pages of the book she was holding, her vision blurring as she stared blankly at the laminated poster that stuck to the wall beside her door. The words 'The Weird Sisters' being the only thing that kept her from drifting into a day-dream and shifting away from reality.

What seemed like seconds could've easily been hours as a soft knock on her door brought her back, she pulled off her headphones and watched as the brass knob twisted and her mother pushed open the door.

Marisol Wright was a timid looking but equally as magical woman, her features were soft but there was a fierceness in her eyes that could terrify a thousand men. When Stevie looked into them, all she could see was a look of sadness and sympathy for her youngest daughter. Mari knew this time of year was especially hard for Stevie, as school was soon to be starting all across the world for children, many who would be receiving, or already had received, their letter. She tried her best to keep the girl distracted, but it was hard when all Stevie wanted to do was the check the mail and stay hidden in her room, with only books of far-away kingdoms and strong women to keep her company.

Stevie dog-eared the page she was on and laid the book on top of one of her pillows, she wrapped her arms around her legs and gave her mom a small smile, " What's up?" She asked, wondering why her mom was bothering her when she usually left her alone until she ventured out of her room.

Mari shrugged her shoulders, " Just checking in, haven't seen you out all day." She stated, but Stevie could tell she had more to say. The grin she tried to hide was peaking through, her eyes crinkling as she tried to forced it away, and her accented voice held a twinge of excitement, "Dinners ready, dad and I have something we need to talk to you about."

And with that, she closed the door, her footsteps fading.

Stevie abandoned her bed for the first time that day, she slipped on a pair of jeans and a sweater to look a little more presentable. It was better than the sleep shorts and tank top she had been rotting in for the past two days.