Chapter 8

The next day at work happened in a blur. Between dealing with angry customers, watering the garden outside, cutting up flowers, Kenma barely had any time to dwell on yesterday. Perhaps he didn't even want to. Because it would mean he had regrets. 

He didn't. 

Kenma regrets many things, but letting Kuroo get closer wasn't one of them. It took him more than half the summer to realize it, but he finally did. 

The door opening, his face lit up at the sight of Kuroo. 

"You done?" 

Kenma nodded, taking his working apron off. The two were planning to go in the meadow, as they usually would. The sun was still up and scorching. The lack of clouds and wind only contributed to the humid air, making Kenma's hair stick to his forehead. 

The walk had started off as quiet, but soon Kuroo could not contain his usual chatter. Not that it would really bother Kenma. It never will. He simply continued walking, mindlessly listening to his ranting, nodding every now and then. 

"There's this midsummer festival this week-end. Are you going?" Kuroo asked. 

Kenma shook his head without even thinking twice. Those kind of events weren't for him. He usually wouldn't attend them, as the social aspect of it would displease him. Kuroo nodded, smiling. He cleared his throat, and all the sudden, the mood had seemed to change. 

"I was um, actually thinking of going." 

"Right," Kenma agreed, still unfazed. He knew Kuroo was expecting Kenma to ask him something. He found however pleasure in pretending he was clueless. 

Moment of silence ensues. 

"I was thinking of going... together, with you."  

Well, that was unexpected. Kenma's eyes widened and he stopped walking. His heart was pounding in his chest, and his breath immediately shortened. He looked at Kuroo, who's face was coated in a light, feminine pink. He almost glowed orange due the sun reflecting his rosy cheekbones. His eyes darted away from Kenma's, a shy grin on his lips, as he scratched the back of his neck. 

He's... embarrassed, Kenma realized, his own face starting to heat up from that thought. 

 But Kuroo simply asked him to go to the festival. He made it so intimate, Kenma could not help the warm feeling from his chest to explode. It was unlike anything he had ever felt before. Embarrassed, giddy. But there was something else there too. 

He felt loved. Appreciated, Kenma immediately rectified. 

His face felt so hot, it was suffocating. He did not know where to look, or what to say. Annoyed at himself for acting that way, Kenma finally forced his gaze on Kuroo. And he whispered a simple : 

"I'd like that too."  

Kuroo's face grew brighter and redder, imitating Kenma's. They had somehow found the courage to look at each other, and were simply staring at one another, squinting from the bright sun . 

Staring, with eyes full of affection. 

Like usual, the meadow was unoccupied by no one except Kenma and Kuroo. It only added to the comfort this place was making feel Kenma. It really felt like their own special place. Where no one could bother them. Where they could stay, forever if it were possible. 

Arriving under the shade of a tree, Kuroo obnoxiously sighed, throwing his shirt away. Kenma glared at him, enervated by this promiscuous gesture. 

"What are you doing?" 

Kuroo blinked innocently. He pointed a small pond nearby and mumbled "It's hot enough to take a swim right?" 

"You might catch a cold. Besides, you don't even have a swim short now" Kenma corrected and proceeded to stumble down in the soft grass, closing his eyes. 

He felt someone poking his cheek. Annoyed, he reopened his eyes to see Kuroo crouched next to him, his onyx eyes mischievously shining. Before he could even ask anything, the shorter male cut him short. 

"No." 

Kuroo whined, bumping his head against Kenma's shoulder. "Come on! The water is so warm, you won't get cold." 

Kenma got up, huffing and rolling his eyes to clearly express his unhappiness. He removed his shirt, making Kuroo yell of enthusiasm. His cheers were however immediately quiet down by Kenma, hissing at him to stop being so loud about it. 

Kuroo then grabbed his hand, and led him to the small pond. The water was clear and still, unbothered by the water lilies floating and the golden fish swimming. The wind brushed some leaves from the willows on the edge, the little green fronds dropping on the water surface, covering it. It curiously looked like a carpet was there. 

Kuroo doves head first, reckless as he is. Kenma unconsciously held his breath, anxious when he saw that he wasn't reappearing to the surface in the following two minutes. He could not help his uneasiness, especially in this cold, stranger place. 

When Kuroo did come back, he exhaled, relieved despite him. 

Kuroo, of course noticed. It is to believe the airheads are actually the most analytical. He raised an eyebrow, and then when realization dawned upon him, he teased: 

"Were you... worried I would drown?" His voluminous bed hair was laid flat, revealing both of his eyes. 

Kenma's face heated up, surprised he would say it out loud. He shook his head, approaching the water and dipping his ankle into it, shivering. 

"Bold of you to think I care." 

"Something tells me you do. More than someone would think" Kuroo simply replied. 

It left him speechless, not knowing how to respond to that. He opened his mouth and closed it dumbly. 

Suddenly, ropes of cold water suddenly came splashing his face and hair, making Kenma hiss of anger. Despite his eyes shut, he could very well imagine Kuroo's expression, grinning of pride. 

"Kuroo Tetsuroo!" He growled, rubbing his eyes to get rid of the excess water. Without thinking, he jumped straight into the water, swimming towards Kuroo who was cackling uncontrollably. 

Kenma started splashing him, taking satisfaction in every drop that would hit Kuroo. 

In retaliation, the bed head would splash him even harder, jumping in the water to create waves, making Kenma move around due to the current it was creating. 

He then dunked his head in the water and reappeared behind him, to splash him on the back. 

And so the two boys spent the next three hours, in the little pond. Splashing and wrestling each other in the water, laughing and yelling. 

Kenma didn't even realize he has had this much fun until the sun started going down and they had to get out the water. Kuroo and him dried themselves the best they could with no towel , and laid down the grass, just as the sun was about to set. 

Their shoulders were next to one another, their heads facing the opposite direction of the other. Kenma turned to the side ever so slightly, so he could stare at Kuroo for a bit more. His hair was tickling his face. Despite that, Kenma didn't want to move. He did not mind feeling the soft texture against his cheek. 

Unfortunately for Kenma, the taller male caught him staring, and started laughing. 

"I saw you, Kenma." Kuroo said, amused. 

Making a small "tch!" sound, Kenma rolled his eyes, trying his best to hide his embarrassment. 

"It's alright, you know. I'm flattered I'm something worth staring at" He then continued, casually as ever. 

Kenma didn't answer anything. He only turned his head back, and caught his gaze. Only this time, he did not get shy about it.