Sweet n' Sour

William wasn't sure if his wife's new attitude was a blessing or a curse. 

He was fairly certain she was still trying to kill him. "I don't need whatever that foul-smelling concoction is, thank you," he said, twisting as best as he could in the bed to get away from the spoon Fidelia extended towards him.

Her eyes flashed. "This is the only medicine I was able to wrangle out of that loathsome Mr. McNab." She pinned his shoulder down with one hand and tried to force the spoon into his mouth. "Eat it."

"I shan't!" William pinched his lips together and turned his chin up—that was the most movement he could make with Fidelia's weight on him. "It smells like you've poisoned it."

"Oh, don't tempt me, Lord Greyville," Fidelia muttered and plopped her hip down on his gut.

"Oof!" William lurched upward at the pressure.

Fidelia crowed with victory and shoved the spoon in his open mouth. "If you had struggled any more, I may have just let you die, no matter my debt to you."

William swallowed the bitter medicine in stunned silence. They with her hip and arm holding him in place, he found his determination to struggle vanishing. Even after weeks at sea, her beauty was stunning. The way her hair tickled his neck was such a pleasant distraction that he hardly noticed the next several spoonfuls.

"A man would take any amount of that foul stuff to sit with you like this," he said, searching her face. Perhaps she truly had softened toward him?

"Do not look at me with those eyes," Fidelia said firmly, avoiding his gaze.

He grinned. "What other eyes should I use? These are the only ones I've got."

She huffed. "Do not forget that we are still married in name only. As soon as I've repaid my debt to you, we will return to our unfriendly silences and practical physical distance."

"But before then," William began with an only half-teasing tone, "how about a foot massage from my dear little wife?" he raised the leg that she didn't have pinned down. "I am rather sore from tending to you for so long."

"If I didn't need you for warmth at night on this blasted cold ship, I'd throw you overboard," Fidelia stood and primly threw her hair over her shoulder.

He sighed, already missing the contact. "Fear not, I shall soon return to keeping you warm during the nights, and you can kick me out of the berth in the mornings to your heart's content."

She turned away, but not before William caught her slight smile.

***

Fidelia continued to grudgingly care for William over the next several weeks as he slowly regained his sturdy constitution, and, although she would never admit it to a soul, she enjoyed the way they would tease each other.  She was even beginning to grow accustomed to his presence. 

Whenever he rested in the tiny cabin, Fidelia sought out Lottie's company. Even trapped on the boat, Lottie seemed to enjoy the voyage and made unlikely friends in Captain Roberts and a few of his more reputable crew members.

Fidelia sat on a barrel one day several weeks after William fell ill, welcoming the fresh breeze, and watched Lottie take copious notes as Captain Roberts regaled her with tales of his adventures and repeated instructions for steering the ship.

Miss Palmer, whom Fidelia had tried unsuccessfully to avoid, gracefully walked across the rolling deck, her parasol twirling against her shoulder, and sat down on a barrel next to the red-headed American.

"He's only a fair sailor," Miss Palmer whispered conspiratorially to Fidelia. "I could teach her to sail this ship in half the time. And I'm better and climbing the rigging than any of these crewmembers."