Chapter 1: Bags of Bombs

I walked into the family room with my guitar straddled around my neck. My mother just laid there on the sofa in front our Tell-Star television; watching a boring soap opera and crying her face off. The only thing I could do was shake my head and hope for better things to come. I sat around my study desk and flopped my phone from my pocket.

“Darin was texting me.” I said in my head. “I’m coming over as soon as I’m finished doing some work for Dad, I want to treat you today!”

“So thoughtful of you…!” I thought, twirling my hair with my finger.

I scrolled off the page and somehow ended up on a news page showing a new super hero in town named Quick-Speed. Yep! Superheroes and villains are real and dwelling among us, and there are a lot in Chicago where I am from. 

I closed my phone and plucked a string on the guitar but my mom yelled at me so I didn’t go further into playing.

I looked in the mirror on myself; good gracious heavens, I needed work. My blonde curly hair was rough around the edges, itching for hot iron. My glasses were lean over my black eyes. My freckled face was dry and foul; I touched it, fearful of my flaws.

“I need an ice-cream…” My mom sighed. “Clarisse, go down and buy me an ice-cream.”

“Mom…I’m going out today remember!” I exclaimed, knowing full well I didn’t tell her that I was going out.

“Pick it up on the way back home.” She concluded. “Or you’ll be the next one out of here like your worthless excuse of a father.”

Ever since that incident happened between my mom and dad, mom has been acting like some obnoxious little brat from preschool. I turned in my chair to access my guitar strap and placed it on the floor. I fixed my glasses then got up, to look for some clothes since Darin is coming over to pick me up for a ‘good time’. 

My room was homey, not too big, not too small, just perfect. The walls were painted in cyan; my favourite colour, embedded with purple stars. I jumped over my bed unto the mat where my suitcase was; filled with clothes. I decided to wear a purple tank top over a white shirt and a white tight jeans with my black and white Nike shoes, it seemed casual enough. I hanged them on my wardrobe; then went to freshen up. After freshening up and putting on my clothes, the door bell rang; my heart yelped.

“Darin!” I thought, jumping over my bed to answer the door.

My mom sat in the couch; lazily, watching that soap opera marathon. She looked up at me then said, “Remember the ice-cream.”

“Can’t I just get it at work tomorrow?” I asked.

“I feel for it now.”

I sighed then replied, “Al-right ma…”

I opened the door and was greeted by a sudden hug which made my eyes widen a bit.

“Hey Darin, y-you are s-squeezing too tight!” I yelped, pushing him off me after the first few seconds.

“Its been like…”

“Two days…” I interrupted.

“Yeah…sorry?!” He apologized. “Lets go.”

He stretched out his hand, I followed through and place mine in his then left. He was taking me to the new park which opened up just a few days ago over in Central State near Downtown Chicago. Since I lived close by, we decided to walk. We walked in silence for a few minutes till Darin broke in, “You know you are beautiful right?”

“Yeah?” I questioned curiously. “W-Why?”

“N-Nothing…” He answered, moving his dark curly hair from out his face.