i. WALKING ON DEATH

CHAPTER ONEWALKING ON DEATH

CHAPTER ONE
WALKING ON DEATH

•••

      Death.

      "Here we go."

      She was heading right to it. Schools. Either loved it. Or hated it. There was no in-between. The tranquil aroma of appalling disinfectant and dirt wafted through the air, coming from clinics and rooted plants, dorm rooms, and uniforms. Peaked columns, empty classrooms, and flickering light bulbs. Those were the things that attracted her to the hauntingly quiet building. Images of such an indelible reminiscence had hit her all at once. Intensely than anticipated. Tender than she could admit. She had found herself climbing the stone steps, each foot heavy within the turning seconds as she approached the gate that sat atop the hill. Seeing as she was forced to near such a place was what hauled her to despise visiting. Visitation only meant one thing to Temari Fushiguro.

      The entrance gate stood tall and wide. Bold with the thick coat of brown that painted its frame. It loomed over her like a shadow, sheltered her like a dark cloud primed for rainfall weather. Although there had been nothing daunting about a senseless barrier that impeded her path, she preceded to leer her thoughts with caution. Brimmed with wary of the inevitable affair waiting for her on the other side. She craned her neck up as her gaze ran along the wooden textured exterior before she settled for the posted sign. Engraved with careful writing, thick letters covered the cypress board, mellowed from the passing years. A murmur escaped her lips as she read them out.

      "Jujutsu Technical High School..." The name felt bitter on her tongue.

      Her hand settled for the cool metal handle. Knuckles pale white and contused as her grip tightened. She attempted to soothe her running thoughts and bury them in a deep and unlit corner of her skull. However, they kindled bright with alarms and blaring rings. A sound that echoed and could only relay to her with a single meaning. For her to turn back, walk down the stone steps, and ultimately, leave. She was well aware of how ridiculous her thinking had turned out, overanalyzing every minuscule detail and harkening to such negative outcomes. Yet, hesitation pulled on her pinched nerves. Her teeth sunk down on her bottom lip, a habit of hers that she has yet to rid of when immersed in contemplation.

      With a dispirited sigh, Temari pushed the door open.

      Nostalgia. It hit her harder than she had expected. A reminder of the lamentable years she endured. A memory that drifted through and far whenever her mind decided to delve into her consciousness. The door creaked with movement, rusty hinges grinding against one another before being fully barred open for her to be greeted with such a familiar sight. Brown eyes wavered with a brazen gloss. One second. Another. A minute had now passed before she blinked, shaking her head with steeled focus. The passing breeze that rushed through her body tore her insides with a cold. She slightly slivered at the sudden change of temperature as the tiny hairs on the back of her neck stood.