Chapter 5

'If the world was ending you'd come over, right?'

▹▹▹

The two landed on the corner of Maplebury road with a loud 'pop', Cassandra immediately released her grip from Remus' arm and hunched cover forwards coughing vigorously, "Nice street," Remus said, looking around ignorant to the choking girl beside him, "Reminds me of where a close friend of mine at school use to live."

Cassandra straightened her back, tucking a short strand of her brown hair behind her ear, "Cool." She said, clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth awkwardly.

"Right," Remus said, snapping himself out of a sorrowful trance, "Off you go then, don't want you being any later than you already are." Cassandra nodded, hurrying forwards past the man, "Oh and Cassandra....?" She stopped in her steps, slowly turning around to face the older man, "Not a word."

Nodding rapidly Cassandra turned back around and hurried down her street. With goosebumps trailing up her arms from the chilly nighttime breeze, she quickly ran up her front drive.

As she opened her front door, a warm blanket of heat washed over her. They were loud chatter in the kitchen and as she looked at the large clock mounted on the wall she saw it read five minutes past six.

She kicked her Doc Martens off of her feet, and left them in the pile of shoes beside the stairs, before walking to the right into the kitchen. It was a Friday night, meaning her mother had already popped open a bottle of wine, and everyone was sat around the table already digging into their tea.

As she walked into the room each of their eyes snapped over to her, they were two empty seats at the table for five, one for her and one for her older sister Eva, "Where have you being!?" Her mother shouted, standing up from her seat.

Truth be told, Cassandra wasn't very close with her parents, she loves them - of course, she loved them - but she shared nothing in common with them. Her parents were too strict on her for her liking, they didn't give her enough room to allow her to be herself.

"I rang Doctor Sinclair up and he said you left hours ago!" She said, her identical chocolate eyes glaring into Cassandras, "I thought you had passed out somewhere from heat stroke or something - do you have any idea how worried we were?"

Rolling her chocolate eyes, Cassandra slumped her body down into the chair beside her younger sister. Nova smiled anxiously at her, "I'm fine, I just met up with a friend on the way home." Cassandra said, simply shrugging her mother off and taking a sip of her sisters water.

"Don't you use that attitude with me, Misses," Her mother snapped back angrily, "And what happened to your face?"

Cassandra, having forgotten about the graze on her face and the dull throb it emitted, tensed slightly, "I fell over." She muttered, once again shrugging her shoulders, it wasn't exactly a lie, she did after all fall over.

She saw her mother move to say something else, although a small touch on the arm from her husband was enough to calm her enraged mind down, instead she took a large gulp of her glass of red wine.

"What day does Eva come home?" Cassandra asked, taking a bite of one of her chips, to loosen the tension.

"First of September, like last year." Her mother answered, a slight hint of bitterness laced in with her tone.

Cassandra nodded slowly, "What time?"

"Ten thirty." Her father answered, speaking up for the first time, Cassandra nodded, tipping an overly sufficient amount of tomato ketchup onto her plate to dip another chip into.