Chapter 2

I slid into my seat just as the bell chimed. I winced, trying to block out the loud noise.

"You're just on time Amy," Ms Muller announced, her brown eyes glancing at my now occupied desk. "I was about to mark you absent."

"I'm sorry," I apologized. Maybe I should listen to Mom next time, and go to bed earlier.

I forced my eyes open as Ms Muller explained today's assignment.

"Yesterday, you read a short story about dreams and hope. Today, you will have the class period to write a short story as well, about your dreams and wishes. Make sure they are realistic."

Ms Muller sat down at her desk, bending down to look at the papers on her desk. Her red curls formed a curtain around her face.

"Ms Muller?" The pesky voice of Alaya Martin squeaked. "May I please write a poem instead? You know, rhyme, and sunshine, and bi-"

"No. Do what I said," Ms Muller cut her off and looked back at her papers.

Alaya huffed and opened her computer.

"I'm going to write about how I'm transferring to the new private school, Briarwood Preparatory. What about you, Amy Flammia?"

"None of your business," I retorted and opened up a new document on my computer.

Alaya glared at me, offended.

"Everything in this school is my business!" she finally said.

"Not anymore, it's not," I argued.

Alaya rolled her eyes. "You're just jealous!"

"Of what?"

Alaya gasped audibly, "How dare you-"

"Alaya, can you do me a favour and go to the main office?" Ms Muller interrupted her.

"Of course. For what reason?" Alaya responded sweetly.

"I'm tired of your chit-chat."

Alaya pursed her lips and sauntered out of the room.

Thirty minutes later, the bell rang. Again.

I put my computer away, took a picture of my poster and walked out of class, leaving the poster with Ms Muller.

"I have an idea!" Daphne yelled, pushing through crowds of other students.

"Hey Daph!"

"Hi Amy. I have an idea," she replied breathlessly. "Want to hear it?"

"Sure."

"What if you get a job, pay for your own riding, and say you're watching me ride?" Daphne grinned at me.

Daphne has moments where she just doesn't think, and others, where she comes up with the most brilliant ideas. Like now, for example.

"Daphne, you're a genius!" I exclaimed.

"Well, I know right!" Daphne said modestly and flipped her reddish brown hair.

"But where would I get a job?"

"At my Mom's place!"

- - -

"At my place?"

I nodded at Mrs Agnor.

"Well, I don't know Amy. Do your parents know about this?"

"I wanted to surprise them!" I lied.

"I guess that's okay then," Mrs Agnor agreed, frowning

I smiled, and Daphne poked me from behind.

"Well, let's get on with the interview." Mrs Agnor got up and led me to a different room.

"Good luck!" Daphne called after me.

- - -

I walked back into Mrs Agnor's office, clad in black jeans, and a white dress shirt.

"Did you..."

"Yup! I'm hired!"

"Congrats!" Daphne exclaimed, then lowered her voice. "How much do you get paid?"

"Fifty a day."

"Lucky! How many days will you be working?"

"For the next two weeks, everyday. Then I'll stop on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays and go riding instead."

Daphne's jaw dropped open.

"I gotta go work!" I exclaimed and slid out the room.

"Can I get a job Mom?" I heard Daphne whine as I left.

"Sorry Daphne."

"But everyone has a job! I'm in tenth grade Mom!"

"We'll talk about it later."

"Fine," Daphne grumbled, running after me. "Ready to make some food? Or whatever it is you're going to be doing."

I grinned at her.

"In that case, I'll have a garden salad with sprite!"

Chuckling, I turned around to get her order.

I hope you guys enjoyed the re-write of chapter 2! Sorry it took me so long to update!!!

Don't forget to vote, comment, follow and share to support me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks!