Chapter 49

Nik and Isa had never wished for a humanity switch more than in these last few months. They wanted nothing more than to be numb, and then to stop feeling the grief and the anguish of their decisions. They wanted an end to the pain that would only end when they were finally reunited with their daughter. And as the months went on, it became harder to remember that their angry, grief-stricken, and tortured act was just an act as the emotions began to bleed over into their private life. They couldn't deal with it anymore.

Everyone but them just seemed so happy. Katherine had been ecstatic about being reunited with her long-lost daughter. The first meeting was obviously a bit awkward but once they got through it, something just clicked between mother and daughter as their subsequent conversations flowed much easier. Elijah never dropped his pretence of being happy. It was much easier for him though since his happy was spending time with Katherine and taking what little opportunities he could to rob the Guerreras of what they wanted, such as their desire to tear down one of the town's original foundries in place of a casino. He was also getting along swimmingly with Nadia. The girl had definitely been a little apprehensive of her mother's boyfriend and vice versa, but it turns out that the two of them had literature in common as they used it to bridge the gap between them.

Marcel had gone back to running his vampire faction, buckling down on them to prevent another riot, as well as recruiting seeing as the wolves were so intent on hunting down vampires, but he had procured another abode to conduct business, leaving the compound for his family to mourn. He was the only one besides Nik and Isa who wasn't happy though. With Rebekah gone now for an indefinite period of time, Marcel was also missing something inside. He occupied his spare time by sleeping with whatever girl he met, drunk or sober. Most he would end up eating, but he returned a few. He was certain that none of them would fill the aching hole where Rebekah should be.

Nik's werewolf family had gone underground. Any wolf that didn't side with Francesca was treated as a vampire sympathizer and exterminated. And since they didn't have the rings, they didn't have the strength to overpower the Guerreras. And to make matters worse, the white oak stake had been stolen the night Hope was given away.

Nik only really felt rage while Isa was trying her best to pretend that she had no emotions. But everyone had learned rather quickly not to provoke her because her angry was very different to Nik's angry. Her angry was more painful, and more unpredictable as she tested out various tricks she hadn't had the chance to try or honed her favourite tricks. Happy wasn't really something she did anymore. Her happiness seemed to have left with her daughter.

Right now though, she was sitting on the sofa in Nik's art room as she stared into space as Nik struggled to make a canvas. He yelled out in frustration as he threw the wooden frame and ripped canvas cloth across the room.

Elijah had then walked in and picked it up saying, "I suppose we shall have to call this your white period."

"I'm missing a crucial colour in my palette, that of my enemy's blood," Nik responded.

"I recommend a Venetian red with a dash of rust," Elijah suggested.

"It's been months!" Nik exploded. "I've adhered to our plan, sit here and do nothing, sell our grief. And now my child is safely away, and another full moon is upon us! Another night of pathetic weakness as the moonlight rings steal my strength!"

Isa's eyes flicked to her husband. Things had been tense between them the last few months. With their happiness drained, and anger all they felt, it didn't mean for much in a relationship. The closest they'd gotten to how they used to be was at night when one of them would undoubtedly wake from a nightmare. It would be tears or a panic attack, most often both, before the other would soothe them. They would cling to each other before sleep took them and then they'd wake in the morning as if it never happened. They hardly said two words to each other as they just didn't know how to process what they felt after giving their Hope away.