Chapter 1

Khita rested on her elbow as she stretched herself out on the futon, the steady rocking motion of the caravan gently rocking her. She tried to embroider gilded water lilies on a silk handkerchief, but found the effort made her dizzy. The morning was unfortunately spent in a similar fashion. There was no reprieve from the tedium of travel by caravan.

If she weren't under strict orders not to converse with any of her entourage, she would have poked her head out and enticed a story from anyone who could promise a break from the boredom. But her teacher had warned her of the consequences of unwarranted conversation. Secrets were always unwrapped under the pretense of light conversation. It would be solid advice, even if they weren't locked in a seemingly endless war. Whether it was from the kingdom of Butaan from the North, or the Kirmani in the West, it seemed like the country was constantly turning cogs in a war machine.

Closing her eyes, she wondered if she would get any quality rest before reaching the Northern Temple. Khita knew she would need it. Conversing with the head priest was very similar to the sensation of slowly inserting pins into her legs. But it was a necessary effort, because he had the most experience in deciphering her work. His translations could help her country gain the advantage and turn the tide in the war with Butaan.

She sat upright when her wagon came to an abrupt halt. Quick, hushed voices were heard outside. Khita moved to exit through the door in the back and was met with the captain of the guard.

"Lady Khita, stay inside. It may be wise to lock the door," he said, his eyes flashing with alarm.

"Captain Buyan, what is it? What is happening?" she asked breathless.

"Our scouting hounds were sent ahead and they haven't returned. We are dispatching the scouting rangers."

Worry creased her eyebrows as she nodded. Losing the hounds was an ominous sign and a tragedy in it of itself. Her country's hounds were a jewel in their militia, and were trained to scout, hunt, track, and kill. If they didn't return, it could only be interpreted as prospective danger.

She bolted the door, and moved her futon from the trapdoor that led to the bottom of the wagon in case she needed a quick escape. Khita was briefed on the potential dangers of the trip, but it was all theoretical until it happened. She was, however, very aware of the viciousness of the bandits that would occasionally rove in the region.

Her breath quickened as she heard shouting in the distance, and she heard people running off ahead. Closing her eyes, she tried to quell her frantic heart. Please let it be a bear or mediocre bandits. At the clanging sound of metal on metal, Khita quickly prayed for the latter. A quick skirmish and an easy victory. She heard scuffling and metal clashing carry on for the endless dripping of an eternity. It was too hard to tell if she should use this time to flee from the trapdoor. If Captain Buyan had the upper hand, she could run right into the thick of things and become a liability. But if Captain Buyan was on the edge of defeat, she could be discovered and be thrust into a whole world of danger. She cursed the lack of windows, it seemed so practical under the notion of secrecy, but effectively blinded her. Then came the silence.

It was an eerie silence that engulfed her, choking her, drowning her. If Captain Buyan won, surely he would have exclaimed something? He would have retrieved her and let her know? She swallowed nervously and fingered the hem of her sleeve. How much time did she even think about it? Not much.

She started lifting up the hatch when a scratching noise came from the door. If it was Captain Buyan, she would find out soon enough. Khita was halfway down the hatch, and was propping herself up with her elbow as the door was blasted open.

She stared wide-eyed at the man was framed by the splintered wood. Khita immediately noticed the pair of green eyes glowing back at her and understood that this man was not with her party. Blood froze in her veins. She was no longer safe.