Chapter 3 ~ Nice to Laugh Again

We run for a long distance in silence. I stay together with Gon and Killua. As we run, I notice the fog becoming more dense again. After a few seconds, I sense something. It isn't a pleasant feeling. Killua must have felt it, too.
          "N/N, Gon," Killua beckons us. I look at Killua as Gon's face is twisted with confusion. "Let's move up."
          I nod, agreeing to his idea.
          "Okay," says Gon, also approving this idea, "We don't want to lose sight of the examiner."
          "Not only that," I interrupt Gon, "I think we should stay farther away from Hisoka. He seems a bit... dangerous."
          "Yeah," replies Killua, "I can smell it in the air."
          "Smell?" questions Gon. He lifts his head to sniff the air, "Hmmmm... I don't think he smells."
          "That was just a figure of speech, Gon!" I explain to Gon. Man, I guess he may be a bit of an idiot sometimes. Well, I guess it isn't the "smell" but the "atmosphere". I feel tension rising within me.
          Gon looks behind towards the two running behind and shouts, "Leorio! Kurapika! Killua says that we should move up!"
          So, I guess that 30-year-old-looking teenager is called Leorio.
          "Oi! Can't you feel the tension surrounding us?!" Killua yells at Gon in disbelief.
          I sigh, "I guess not he feels it." But, what I said goes unnoticed.
          "Moron! If I had the strength, I'd already be there!" calls back Leorio. 
          "Don't worry about us!" Kurapika adds on.
          "Eeeeeeeeeh?" Gon whines out sadly. 
          "Let's just go on ahead. Trust them, Gon," I tell the disappointed boy, his eyebrows furrowing into a frown. 
          I begin to run ahead faster. Killua follows behind me.
          "Ah! Wait up!" cries out Gon as he runs to catch up.
          We run forward, leaving behind Leorio and Kurapika. As we run further, I hear screaming.
          "Did you hear that?" I ask the two. Gon nods.
          "Yeah... I hear screaming," agrees Gon.
          "Just stay on your guard," warns Killua.
          "I wonder if Leorio and Kurapika are ok..," mutters Gon with a worried look. His eyes are fixed behind his back.

          Just then, Killua stops in his tracks. Gon and I stop as well, confused. Something doesn't feel right. Suddenly, the ground begins to sink into the ground and we fall down. We have been seemly eaten by a something. The three of us fall into a pool of liquid... probably saliva on the creature's tongue. I wrinkle my nose in disgust. 
          "Oh my gosh, a stupid marathon in a swamp just to get swallowed up by a stupid animal?!" I screech inside the creature's stomach furiously.
          "What else do you expect? It is a swamp where animals are crazy after all..," mumbles Killua, also not so happy to get eaten up.
          "Maybe we can find a way to get out..," says Gon nervously. He has this unsure smile, probably not knowing if this is the right time to smile, and this is a really bad time to smile.
          "WELL, I AIN'T STAYING HERE FOR THE REST OF MY DAMN LIFE!!!!" I snap angrily, stomping my foot into its tongue covered by saliva. 
          The, I hear Killua whisper to me, "Hey, you still have that can of juice you got from Tonpa?"
          "Yeah," I reply, nodding back. I instantly get what he's going to do. I hand him the juice.
          Killua opens the can and pours its contents out onto the animals tongue.

          Not long after he did that, I feel rumbling. The three of us are taken back by a strong force, and then we get vomited out onto the grassy grounds. Killua lands on his bottom and I feel bad for Gon, who face-planted into the bile-covered ground.
          "Bleck!" I spit. "That was disgusting."
          Gon laughs nervously, "Guess he didn't like the taste of us."
          "Nah. I think it's because of N/N complaining and her stomping," Killua disagrees.
          "Shut up!" I yell at Killua with a scowl, "You know clearly that that was not the case!"
          "Chill, I was just kidding!" Killua says with a smirk, "More because of this."
          Killua holds the empty orange can into the air, displaying it for Gon to see. He adds, "You gotta thank N/N for not throwing this away."
          "I guess Y/N saved us!" Gon exclaims with a smile. I blush in embarrassment.
          "No, the real hero here is Killua. He thought of this idea to get us out," I point out, looking away. I know there is a faint red blush dusted on my cheeks.
          Killua is embarrassed by my words and blushes as well. "Cut it out, baka. That's embarrassing..," he mutters, scratching the back of his head.
          "Anyway... I'm still worried about Leorio and Kurapika!" says Gon, looking towards his back again.
          "Forget about them," Killua tells Gon. "We need to move on and catch up with the Examiner. Let's go."
          Killua begins to run again. I follow behind him. I look back at Gon. He stands up, but doesn't move. Instead, I watch as he runs backwards. That idiot... 

          Killua and I run forward until we see a shadow of group of people running before us.
          "Cool..," I hear Killua mumble out with pride. "We've caught up to the main group, N/N, Gon!" He turns his head to look at me.
          "Thank goodness!" I say, heaving a sigh.
          "Wait, where's Gon?" asks Killua, searching for his figure.
          "He left on his own... probably for Kurapika and Leorio," I suggest, "Maybe that's the case."
          "Yeah, sounds like something he would do..," sigh Killua, "Let's just catch up."
          "Okay, then," I shrug and begin to run back to the main group with Killua.
          We, once again, run in the front of the group, without Gon though. The fog is still very dense, but I am able to keep on running ahead with the help of Satotz.
          "Hey, N/N," says Killua.
          "Hm?" I reply, looking at Killua.
          "Can we be friends?" he asks, not looking my way.
          "Ah! I thought you were already my friend since the Exam has begun!" I say with a smile, "Of course we can! What makes you think we can't?"
          "Okay. I just thought nobody would be willing to be friends with someone like me," he explains.
          "Oh. I thought it was the other way around," I say, looking back ahead, "I've never had any friends in my life."

          We reach a clearing, where the fog dissipates into thin air. I hope this is where Phase One ends... Satotz slows down and ceases his steps in the clearing and the group gathers there, waiting for further instructions. There stands an enormous gate that is closed. Anyone who sees the gate would instantly become curious about what lies behind it. At least, I don't have to run anymore. I lean against a tree and sit down. Killua sits down beside me.
          "What are you gonna do now?" he asks me.
          "Dunno... Probably draw," I reply with a smile, "You can watch if you want."
          Killua begins to protest a bit, "But, you didn't let me look at your drawings earli-"
          "Don't worry. Back then, I didn't know who you were, so I got defensive. Now that we're friends, I guess you can," I interrupt Killua. He stays silent for a few seconds.
          "O-oh... ok," Killua mutters, a little flushed.
          I take off my backpack from my back and open it up to retrieve a pencil and sketch pad. After putting my backpack aside, I begin to think about what to draw. Killua opens my sketch pad to a clean page and takes my pencil. I look at him, a little puzzled. He draws a fat dude on the page using a smaller circle for the head and a bigger circle for the body. Then, he draws a mouth on the person and a shoe next to the person so that he is kissing the shoe.
         "Do you have crayons or anything?" Killua asks.
         "Yeah," I reply. I take out a pack of crayons from my backpack and hand it to Killua.
         Killua opens up the pack, takes out a blue crayon, colors the person's body. He takes out a brown crayon to color a portion of his head. He adds dots of rainbow and girly colors on the shoe. I snort a little. It's Tonpa kissing a shoe. Killua smirks at me and picks up the pencil once more. On the side of the picture, he wrote "I am married to my twinkle toes and make out with them". I begin to laugh out loud hardly. He laughs along with me.
          "Gosh, I can imagine Tonpa making out with his twinkle toes!" I say between my laughs.
          "Yes, I bet he sleeps with them!" exclaims Killua, still laughing crazily.

          Having such a nice friend to laugh with. I never laughed again since my parents died. It feels good to laugh again... with someone who I call a friend...

          (A/N: I know this chapter isn't as long as the last one and I'm sorry if it's not a lot... Oh yeah! I give credit to Julyah The Weeb on YouTube for the twinkle toes idea. Please go check them out because their Hunter x Hunter texting videos are just too funny lmao- Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!)