O

L A L I S A

The next night, I waited in the lobby as I kept checking the watch and my mother from time to time, who was seated on the couch, watching some drama on TV. It was nearly 11 pm, she made way into my room and I immediately slid into my bedsheets, pretending to be fast asleep.

She kissed my forehead goodnight before heading to her bedroom, her footsteps making faint sounds on the wooden flooring. Once I was certain she had fallen into deep slumber, I changed into a fresh pair of clothes and took my wallet along, sneaking out of the house in the quiet night.

Jungkook and I were supposed to meet at the bridge over the river ㅡ a peaceful spot where we used to hangout often, way before my accident.

Since I had ample time to spend, I took a different path than usual, to get some snacks for Jungkook and I from the local convenience store.

Making way down the street, I bumped into one of my closest friends ㅡ Jung Eunbi, who we adorably called by her nickname, Eunha.

"Eunha-yah!"

"My God Lisa, is this you?!" She ran towards me and engulfed me into a bear hug.

I had known Eunha around the same time as Guk. She lived in the city and often visited the town during certain months of the year, to spend the holidays and vacations with her grandparents who lived here.

We settled down on the ramen counter at the convenience store, the same one that's owned by her grandparents. She usually worked as a cashier in the night shift, to help around. Which explained why she was putting off the trash in the trashbin when I came in.

"How are you? It feels like years since we didn't meet."

"I know right, tell me about it. I missed my bestie so much." She grasped my hand tightly, eyes sparkling with enthusiasm like she always had.

"By the way, I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Huh? What loss are you talking about?" I asked, completely baffled.

"Lisa, weren't you involved in an accident?" Eunha was surprised when she saw me completely clueless of what was going on.

"Y-yes, but those were just minor injuries. I kinda developed a concussion because of which I was admitted, that's what my mom said. D-does the whole town know about it?"

Why was everyone asking me about my accident? I had just fallen off the stairs right?

Then what was the big deal they were making out of it?

"Uhm...you could say quite a many people around do know."

"Wow, becoming famous for a silly reason like this was never in my bucket list...and on the other hand there's me who doesn't even remember what happened to herself."

"Maybe you'll remember things with time...oh shoot. A customer is here. I'll call you later, hmm?" Saying so, she got off, heading behind the cash counter.

"Eunha, you should catch up with us sometimes." I suggested, gently getting hold of her wrist.

"Us? Who are you referring to?" She titled her head to the side, her brows knitted in confusion.

"Jungkook, duh. Who else would you think I'm talking about? In fact, I'm actually meeting him by the bridge tonight, which is why I was here to get some snacks for us. So if you're free, give me a call that you'll be there. He'd love to see you around."

Although I expected her to be calm and responsive, her face went pale in shock. Before I could question the look on her face, she took a deep breath before looking directly into my eyes.

"Uh...L-Lisa...I-I don't think I can join y-you, I'm so sorry about that. And uhm, goodnight!" She stuttered, before she hurriedly walked away from me, reaching out to attend the other customers.

What was with her? She often volunteered to come along and hangout earlier, I guess things aren't the same as before.

"Darn, it's nearly 12. I better rush out." I cursed mentally as I walked out of the store with a bag of goodies.

"H-hi Jungkook-ah." I panted while hugging my knees when I found him seated on the bridge's railing. He immediately hopped off, walking towards me as I made my way to him.

"Took you long enough to be here. I was about to go back to your place." He folded his arms.

"No dumbass, I went downtown to but some snacks for us. Here, I got you your favourite banana milk and chocolate cookies." I crouched down to reach for the said items inside the plastic, handing it out to him.

"Yah, what are you staring at, have this. Its chilled." He did nothing but just stand there and say nothing.

"Jung-"

"I don't wanna eat."

"But I got this-"

"You have it, I'll be happy." He scratched his nape as he awkwardly replied.

The Jungkook I had known would never say no to his favourite snacks, which were otherwise his midnight delicacies. He even used to sneak out of home and tag me along to the supermart to munch on and heartily enjoy them.

I saw his urge to have the banana milk of his favourite brand, because he licked his lower lip and slightly bit it. I don't know why, but this action of his made my stomach churn, as if a tinge of ecstatic chills were injected in my bloodstream.

I turned my face away from him, my cheeks burning up as I was sure they had turned into a deep shade of scarlet.

Why did he have to be this attractive?

"Lisa, so you are going to sit there for an eternity? I've been calling you for the past five minutes." He called out, which was enough to break my stance.

"Oh...uh nothing. What's with you by the way? Are you on a diet hmm?" I went near him, raising my brows in an attempt to tease him.

"Uh...yeah, you could say so. The toughest part is that I'm finding it difficult to give in to my temptations." He stuttered.

"Are you cold? Here, take this scarf." I reached out to the scarf that hung around my neck, but he stopped me midway by shaking his head into a no.

"Come, let's go down near the river and get seated by the park bench." He suggested as I nodded.

"You remember how we used to play with the pebbles and judge who who could throw it the farthest into the river?" Jungkook asked as we walked ahead.

"Its been ages to that. I kinda miss childhood." I answered, rubbing my hands together.

"You're still a child at heart, Lali. Always stay like this." He said with a smile, as a blush crept on to my cheeks.

Despite of knowing each other for merely a few years, the bond I shared with Jungkook couldn't be described in words. I don't think there's anyone I've ever shared a tie do strong like this.

It's like our heartstrings are intertwined with each other which nurture such a beautiful friendship.

We have been friends for a lifetime and hopefully we will continue to be, for the many more years to come.

Perhaps the night looks so beautiful is not just because of the star-studded sky, but because of our togetherness, because of us.