Chapter 1

I stuff my little belongings into a bag, leaving out everything he had ever given me. It's true that I would be better off taking them, but I'm not sure I could handle seeing any of this again.

My door swings open as I try to hide the bag behind my back, hoping he won't suspect anything if I stay calm. It's Turpin.

'A gentleman knocks before entering a lady's room,' I mumble, avoiding eye contact with him. But he's not a gentleman, and far from it.

'And I see no lady,' he scolds, walking towards me as I back away against the bed. 'You refused my hand in marriage, and now, since you don't seem to enjoy my company...' He reaches behind me and grabs the bag, holding it up with a raised eyebrow before throwing it to the floor.

The small velvet box that holds the engagement ring from Benjamin rolls out on to the floor. I'd managed to hide it from him all this time - and now he has the one material thing I had left of him. He leans down slowly to pick it up, takes out the ring, and tosses the box onto the carpet. Holding the ring up to the light, he inspects it in his brutish fingers. It feels as if he's looking up and down my very soul with his cruel eyes. He pockets the ring and stares at me with a smirk.

'Please give it back,' I beg, trying to reach the ring to take it. He grabs my hand roughly and tuts as he releases it.

'Now, we should know better than to act foolish, shouldn't we?'

'You can't keep me here against my will.'

'No, I suppose I can't. But I'm all you have. What will you do once you're out there? One would assume you have somewhere to stay considering your haste to leave.'

I change my expression from indignance to submission. That's the thing with men. They seem to replace their brains with their genitals.

There's only one man that's an exception. My Benjamin. Too good for me - I'll never know how I got so lucky.

It's easy to manipulate someone when you know their weakness. I'm his weakness - I see the way he looks at me. He's a fool to think I hadn't noticed the hole in my door he's so fond of watching me through. All I have to do to have him wrapped around my finger is to swallow my pride.

'You're right. You've been so kind to me all these years, I don't know where my head's been. Where would I be without you?'

The words are forced out of my mouth like I'm throwing them up rather than saying them. I walk up to him slowly, pouting my lips slightly and seductively. He tenses up when I place a hand on his forearm, but quickly sinks into a position of false security. He gives me a smile as he leans down towards my face. While he's vulnerable, I quickly shove my hand into his jacket pocket and retrieve the ring before wrestling him out of the way, slamming the door behind him. I push my whole body weight against it, blocking him from getting out as I lock the door. I step back, panting against the wall until it dawns on me. I'm free.

A/N : Hey guys! So this is bad but if you're seeing this I guess I published it for some reason. I've been wanting to watch this movie for so longg and i finally watched it now im obsessed the wait was so worth it!!!

Anyway a lil bit of context if you didn't read the description just act like Johanna never existed because I'm not good at plotlines and I couldn't make it fit

Hope you enjoy :)