Ending - Angst

Percy Jackson and the Collapse (another angst ending)

Artemis walked over to the edge of Mount Olympus, waiting for him. She knew he had seen her escaping the crowd, at least, she hoped he had seen her. She had to know.

Footsteps got louder as she stared at the night sky. The scent of the sea got louder, his footsteps echoing like tides crashing on beach. Oh, how she missed all of this... all of him.

"Artemis," he greeted. She didn't reply, instead turning and looking him up and down. A black tux with blue tie, his hair ruffled slightly, his tanned skin with a certain texture to it, he seemed to be made of marble if she could say so herself.

"Artemis," he said again and she snapped out of the trance.

Artemis looked in his eyes, the same green eyes that used to look at her lovingly, now just looked at her patiently, "Percy."

"How are you?" She winced at his attempt for small talk but obliged nevertheless, neither wanting the moment to escape, "I am good, how are you?"

He looked back, the party raging on, "I am doing great."

"That's good," she breathed out and turned around to look at the sky. Percy took a step and stood beside her but kept a distance between them. She knew this was her fault and she wanted to fix it but how could she?

It had been over a decade and he refused to even listen her anymore. "Where did we go wrong Percy?" She knew the answer to that but she wanted him to say it, to blame her, to tell her the stinging truth that she had let her insecurities cloud her judgement and push one of the best things to have ever happened to her.

Percy sighed but didn't reply, the silence of his answer bore an even heavier weight than what his answer would've. "Can we not fix this?"

"I am afraid this is one issue," Percy turned his head to look at her pleading face, "we can't fix Artemis."

Artemis nearly broke down then and there but she had to try. Percy had to still feel something for her, "Percy-"

"Artemis, guess our luck ran out. I loved you. Loved, past tense."

Artemis caught his slip up, the way his head turned when he said that last part, "Maybe when you can look me in the face when you say that, I'll actually believe you."

Silence.

Artemis continued, "It was a nice lie Percy. Percy, just yell, scream, say something. Anything. Anything that will let you come back to me. Stay with me."

Percy didn't respond, his eyes looking at the moon in the distance.

"if I asked you to stay, would you?" her question laid in the air. She stared at Percy as he stared at the sky. She had to know. She couldn't live without knowing but a part of her, the part that knew the answer, didn't want him to answer this question either.

"I should go Artemis."

Artemis' hand caught his wrist and she said, desperately, "I love you, please don't go."

"I can't have this argument with you again"

"But-"

"No. I'm done."

With that, Percy walked out of the balcony, easily walking through the crowd to the palace door. He paused at the door, his hand hovering over the door handle. It seemed as if he was waiting for something, or someone.

Finally, he sighed in defeat and exited through the door and Artemis crashed to the ground, her hands covering her eyes as tears began free falling from her eyes. She knew Percy was gone from her life, and he was never going to come back.

"This is all in my head. It's all happening in my head," she tried to console herself but she knew that it was a losing battle. It was over between them and she couldn't do anything about it.

A/N: Thank you so much for so many reviews. This is the angsty ending that I had planned earlier. The alternate, fluffy ending is... tricky because of how I ended the previous chapter. No promises that there will be an alternate ending but I will try my best. Meanwhile, enjoy this one. I know its not as good as the previous part but this is just meant to emphasize on my previous part and is not a sequel or anything.