3

One evening, I was sitting in my room when I felt a sudden chill in the air. Before I could get up and adjust the heater, I looked up and saw some writing in the fog on my mirror:

CHECK MY PINK LOCKET

Something told me the message was from Ciara. She had a pink locket that she always wore. I used to joke that it was her amulet. I travelled to the Manning's house at Newcastle the next day.

Talking to her mum was one of the hardest things I had ever done. How could I explain that her late daughter had contacted me? I eventually told her that I missed them, so I decided to pop in. 

Fortunately, before I had to make up any stories, Mrs Manning asked me if I would like to go to Ciara's room. I froze, touched that they kept a room for her. Mrs Manning patted my arm gently and nodded. I got up slowly and went down the hall to the room as she directed me to.

Ciara's room was decorated exactly the way she would have liked it. Plenty of purple and a little bit of gray. Everything was well arranged and I was a little weary about ransacking the place. As I wondered what I would do next, I felt a hand trace the letters  B-R-O-W-N   B-O-X  I-N  C-L-O-S-E-T on my back. There was a brief pause between the words.

I looked around the room for a closet, and when I found it, checked for a brown box. After carefully shifting her clothes aside and stepping inside, I saw a small brown luggage box in a corner.