I. trials and tribulations

October 28, 2001

October 28, 2001

"Jarvis, open file 'untitled.' Start a new audio entry."

"Yes, sir."

"She— she's here. Six pounds, eleven ounces, and eighteen inches of Sarah and I wrapped in a little pink blanket." Tony gushed.

"Congratulations, sir."

"Oh! Almost forgot, it's Sunday, October 28, 2001. It's four-forty in the morning on the West Coast. But my body's still on the East Coast clock. Sara's at the hospital right now, I'm headed there next. I just got back from New York. But, I just— I couldn't not talk about this."

"She's here. And I'm about to meet her in a little more than twenty minutes." Tony let out a heavy sigh, as if he was just now realizing what was happening. The thought that he would be a father was just sinking in. "Oh, before I forget, Jarvis?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Rename the file, 'Alaska.'"

"File 'untitled' is now file 'Alaska,' sir."

"Thanks, Jarvis." Tony let out yet another sigh and sunk into his chair. "God, I hope I do right by this kid. I hope she doesn't grow up to hate me as I did my dad. I know Sarah will be a good mom, it's all in her character. But I'm worried about this kid and me."

"You'll do fine, sir."

"I've read every baby and parenting book out there. I think I'm an expert in by-the-book parenting now, but the real thing is... is something else."

"But I should get to the hospital. Meet the kid. Well... Happy birthday, kiddo. Here's hoping you turn out better than me."

__

On the third floor of Cedars-Sinai Hospital, in the maternity ward, three tired girls waited in a hospital room for a certain man to show up. The three girls being the most important girls in the man's life: the mother of his daughter, his trusted assistant, and his newborn child.

Sarah, sweaty, tired, and disheveled, sat upright in the small hospital bed. In her arms, she held a small bundle of blankets, a baby wrapped up like a Christmas present. Poking out of the cloth was a small, sleeping pale face with thin tufts of brown hair. Her brown doe eyes were hidden behind small, delicate eyelids with eyelashes that brushed against her cheeks with every steady breath. Sarah couldn't help but look at the child with all the love in the world sparkling in her eyes. She coddled her baby girl and couldn't take her eyes off her.