XV: His Butler || Drowning

This chapter might be short, so I apologize beforehand.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

The wind howled, the thunder roared, and the lightning hissed around the two men as they stood opposite of one another. With the waterfall of rain continuing to pour from the thick clouds above, their fine tailored suits had been drenched. Jasper and Sebastian stared without fear into the eyes of the other.

Propping his chin between his thumb and index finger, Sebastian released a low, mocking laugh. "Lord Mondadori must be frightened in his watery grave, like a rabbit whose path has crossed with a starving, rabid wolf."

Sensing the panic of young Ezzelin in the waters beneath them, Jasper snarled his lip, revealing his glistening razor teeth to Sebastian. "You are a rather tedious being," he said, his gloved hands bundled into tight fists as his crimson eyes fluctuated down the gaping hole in the bridge to the sloshing waters below, watching in horror as the carriage was slowly being dragged deeper by the water's yearning clutches.

"I see no further need to remain civilized in our ... confrontation," said Sebastian as he menacingly strode towards Jasper, the heels of his fine black leather shoes clapping against the stones, almost in a rhythm mimicking the thunder.

The silver-haired butler narrowed his
eyes as he too began walking towards the opposing man with the black clouds looming around his entirety. "I could not agree more," he murmured, a similar aura oozing out of his back until it swarmed his form like a million black locusts. "Shall we end this, Sebastian Michaelis?" asked Jasper as he paused before the break in the bridge and released his fiery wings from his suit.

Sebastian grabbed the index finger portion of his white glove and flashed his brilliant fuchsia eyes up at the silver-haired butler. "Oh how long I have awaited this moment," he said as he removed the glove off of his left hand, revealing his pentagram-like symbol on the back of it. "Let us dance to the tune of hell once more, Luca!" he exclaimed, gracefully leaping towards Jasper, his raven-colored wings extended to their full length.

With less than a second to react, Jasper dived beneath Sebastian and down to the waters below. "Farewell, Sebasti---"

Before Jasper could finish his words, the man, well ... demonic man, had already latched onto his leg and yanked him back up and slammed him down on the bridge, causing a multitude of stones to come loose and fall to the waters around the carriage.

"Not so fast, Luca, we have yet to perform our diabolic waltz! Or have you forgotten the steps?!" mocked Sebastian as he carried himself down on the prone butler, making sure to drill the tiptoe of his shoes into his back. With his face pressed firmly against the cool, wet stones by Sebastian's other foot, Jasper could only sputter out spit in retort.

Inside of the nearly sunken carriage below, Ezzelin was staring through the tail glass window at the hole above. His heart racing loudly in his ears and eyes searching for his butler, Ezzelin started to pound his fist against the window. "Jasper!" he had yelled. "What the hell are you dawdling about for, you cretinous bastard?! Don't let me die in here!"

With the water seeping through his side door, Ezzelin scoffed as he started to remove any clothing that might drag him down into the depths of the river, this included his shoes, top coat, and pocket watch. He knew he couldn't risk anything getting caught and causing him to drown.

As he removed his last unnecessary article of clothing, the lad placed himself in the upper corner of the carriage and began using the wooden heel of his shoe to break the glass that had not yet been overwhelmed by the water.

"Br-Break ... damn you!" he exclaimed after he repetitively hit the glass. After roughly five strikes, the glass shattered; however, the water had covered the carriage and was now beginning to fill the insides. With a quick exhale and inhale of enough air, Ezzelin fought against the rushing water and swam out of the carriage. Not realizing how far away the surface was, the boy had released all of his oxygen and was in a panic---his fastly-paced strokes resembling that of a wounded frog.

J-Jasper, he internally growled. If I die here, he thought, I will never ... let you have my soul!

Atop the bridge, Jasper and Sebastian were in the midst of fighting. The fear of his master's death growing stronger only hounded at Jasper even further as he received blow-by-blow from Sebastian. Incapable of thinking clearly because of Ezzelin's thunderous heart rate, the butler was at a near breaking point against Sebastian.

"I m-must return to my ... master," he said, as if Sebastian should listen to his words and allow him to do so.

As Ezzelin finally reached the top of the water, he glanced up at the bridge. "Jasper!" he called, causing the butler's crimson eyes to widen. Struggling to remove the irksome glove from his hand, Ezzelin coughed as the waves crashed against him. "D-Damned water," he choked out. Once the glove was off of his hand, he forced it out of the water's grasp and threw it into the air. "I c-command you to ... stop what you're ... doing and get me ... out of he---!"

Before he could finish, another wave collided with him, sending him toppling under the water, leaving him gasping for air, where there was none.

Jasper suddenly kicked back Sebastian with his right leg. Extending his bloody wings to their full extent, he stared at Sebastian, only for a moment, then rushed towards the hole once more. Dispersing his wings into a feathery mess as he dived into the murky depths, he swam after his master, who had fell unconscious by the sheer force of the previous wave.

Young master, thought Jasper, I promised you life, as well as vengeance. If I let you perish here ... I would be betraying you and ... your soul would not taste as sweet if that were to happen. Hearing the faint heartbeat of the young lord, the butler could only force himself to swim faster. I shaln't let you fall to an untimely death because of my precarious actions, he thought as he scooped the lad into his arms. I hereby solemnly swear to remain at your side from this point forth ... my beloved Lord Mondadori.

〜〜〜*〜〜〜

Be sure to vote and leave a comment if you enjoyed this chapter! I love hearing from you guys. ☆〜(ゝ。