01. summer nights

GEMMA'S eyes were stuck going back and forth to the ticking clock

GEMMA'S eyes were stuck going back and forth to the ticking clock. The hours slowly counted down to the end of her shift at Carver's Cafe where she worked as a waitress. With the summer air fresh in the small town, it meant longer working hours for the teen as her blistered fingers stung. A red tinge was on her cheeks from the heat of the kitchen as she ran back and forth during the dinner rush, beads of sweat lining her hair line. It was a Friday night and minutes away from 8 pm when she got off, which still felt like an eternity away. Her anticipation for her later plans made and chest bubble, made her feel frustrated as impatience took over. Tonight she'd be heading with some friends out to the beach in La Push, she'd been looking forward to it for the last few nights.

Senior graduation took place the other night, crazy for her to watch her big sister walk across the stage. It filled her with a mixture of emotion from relieved she'd be out of the house to somber by that thought. The upcoming year was going to be interesting without Bella, she'd technically be 'alone' for the first time. But she also knows this year would be important for her future, studying for exams for college, trying to figure her shit out, make some more money... In general it was beyond her to imagine how time had flew since leaving Arizona.

Closing out her shift, Gemma was making sure the change was correct in the register and adding more coins from the unopened rolls. Normally work went by fast for her, but something about the last hour dragged on even with being quick on her feet from the flow of customers.

"Gems, just get Mr. Marks his normal pie and then you head out," Cora said as she touched the small of Gemma's back to get her attention.

"Okay, got it." she smiled at her coworker before heading to the dessert display. There was an ache in Gemma's feet from her ivory chelsea boots as she'd been on them for hours. She grimaced as she grasped a small porcelain plate, then went to her tip-toes to reach the case load and with said plate with a slice of lemon meringue, and some extra whipped cream.

Gemma, with a smile, walked over to the table with Bob Marks and his wife, "hey Gem! How's work been today?" he asked with a smile.

"Pretty good, nothing too eventful for a Friday night, and here's your regular." she set down the pie in front of Bob with an overly excited tone

"Just finished your junior year right?" his wife asked.

"Yes. It was a good and all, but I'm so excited it's summer." Gemma'a voice was naturally higher pitched, nasally at times as it came off as superficial. 

"I can imagine. You say hi to Charlie and Bella for us, and have a good night."

"I will and you too," Gemma smiled with a head-nod before she walked away from the table of two.