Seventeen.

As if sitting in her class wasn’t enough, after watching Umbridge inspect and berate the other Professors at school, It was time that us students took back some life at Hogwarts. Harry has agreed to start up a secret Defense Against the Dark Arts where we would actually get to learn some defenses and use spells. I was on board right away, Harry was on the fence. Harry even asked me to co-teach it with him, since my dad was a teacher of this subject and it’s been one of my favorites since my first year here. I told him that I would help him plan out lessons but I would not teach with him, that was all up to him.

I would help him as much as he needed. Coming up with lessons and which spell to teach when and I would even walk around and make sure everyone was doing their spells correctly if Harry couldn’t watch everyone, but when it came to the actual teaching it was all him. I was no teacher, and Harry was much better at this subject than I was. He was the perfect choice.

During the first Hogsmeade weekend, we met at the Hogs Head, a rundown pub at the end of the main street, and we had our first meeting. Anyone who wanted to join had to sign up that weekend. The Hogs Head was dirty and damn near downright disgusting, but Hermione said that The Three Broomsticks would be too busy for us to have our meeting there.

We ordered four butterbeers, which Harry graciously paid for, and then we found an empty table, which wasn’t hard to do here. As we took our seats and waited for others to show up, Ron said, “You know what? We could probably order anything we’d like in here. I bet that bloke over there would sell us anything, he wouldn’t care. I’ve always wanted to try firewhiskey.”

“You. Are. A. Prefect.” Snarled Hermione.

We wait for what seemed like a while before the Weasley Twins, Lee Jordan, and Ginny all entered the pub. Some Ravenclaw girls like Luna Lovegood, Cho Chang and some of her usual group came in. My Hufflepuff friends, and Jude’s younger siblings Lollie and Rain all entered at the same time. Then Neville Longbottom and Dean Thomas entered, the Patil twins and Lavender Brown entering behind them. Before we knew it, we had more people than a normal Hogwarts classroom usually had in it, but of course not a soul from Slytherin House, while we were recruiting, we told them that everyone needed to keep Slytherin out of this, because if word got out to the wrong Slytherin, we would be shut down before it even started.

“You said it would be a couple of people,” sneered Harry through clenched teeth.

“Well, the idea seemed popular,” said Hermione with a shrug.

Hermione started the meeting, first thanking everyone for coming. She explained how they thought it would be a good idea to have an actual Defense Against the Dark Arts class instead of what Umbridge was teaching them all, and that Harry and I would be working together to teach it to them. The only person that was skeptical about this idea was a fellow Hufflepuff of mine, Zacharias Smith. He wanted to know what proof Harry had to say that the Dark Lord was back. Harry told that that he watched him kill Cedric Diggory last year, and then he added, “I don’t want to talk any more about Cedric Diggory, alright, so if that’s what you’re here for, you might as well clear out.”

Hermione took over again, Hermione told them that we still needed to figure out a place and time that we could all have lessons, but they would all know when we did. But of course everyone got off topic quick enough and started talking about everything Harry’s done. From Destroying the Sorcerer’s stone our first year, to taking on the Basilisk our second year, the dementors our third year, and the Triwizard Tournament last year, Harry had been through a lot while at Hogwarts. It was no wonder we wanted him to be our teacher.

The only request about these meetings was from a Gryffindor girl named Angelina Johnson, who said that these meetings better not interfere with Quidditch practice. Hermione passed out gold coins to everyone and told them that it would tell them the date and the time when we were having our first meeting once it was decided upon. She then had everyone meeting sign a piece of paper for reference of how many people would be there.

Ron, Harry, Hermione, and I were the last to leave the pub. When we were all leaving the Hogs Head, I took off in a separate direction from the other three. I always take a look at the Shrieking Shack while I’m in Hogsmeade. I like to take a look at it because of my father’s history with it while he was a student at Hogwarts. Once a month, my father would be locked in there during the full moon.

I wasn’t expected to be followed by anyone, especially not George Weasley, but when I wasn’t alone at the fence in front of the shack, I knew this visit to the shack wouldn’t be a quiet one anymore. “So, if you’re going to be helping Harry with the classes does that mean I get extra marks if I bring you an apple?”

I laugh at that, of course George would take an opportunity to flirt with me right now. “We’ll see how well you do with the lessons, I can’t be picking favorites now.”

“Oh come on,” teased George, “I was your date to the Yule Ball, doesn’t that count for something?”

Between all the school work I have to do and Quidditch practices I haven’t had much interaction with George since I decided that I fancy him. I figured it was true, I was officially infatuated with him. His sweet smile and kind eyes drew me in. Every time he is around me, I feel so happy and there’s a nervous knot in my stomach, that must mean that I fancy him. I just haven’t figured out how far I want to take this yet. If I want to be his girlfriend or if I want to keep it to myself as just a little crush.

Maybe I should flirt back with him and see how he takes it? Yeah, that would work.

With my voice as flirty as I can make it, I tell him, “Well, you will be my favorite student, but I can’t let the others know that, can I?” I ask, giving a quick shrug. “What kind of teacher would I be if I did that?”

He smiles back at me for that one, he was enjoying my flirting. That’s a good sign. He flirts right back with me, giving me a sly smirk, “Well, as long as I know that I’m your favorite student I guess we can keep it to ourselves. I wouldn’t want anyone getting jealous.”

I agree, giving him a chuckle, “We wouldn’t want that now, do we.”

It felt nice to flirt with George. He seemed to be enjoying it, too. It felt very natural, like I should have been doing this the entire time I've known him.

When we got back to Hogwarts, everything seemed to be falling into place, until Umbridge put out Educational Decree number Twenty-four. Which stated that all student organizations, societies, teams, groups, and clubs were disbanded if they had three or more people. We were, however, allowed to ask for permission to reform. My Hufflepuff Quidditch Team Captain, Steele Soots, marched right into her office that morning and requested that we be allowed to still practice and play our games for the year. Umbridge ended up granting permission for our team right away because Hufflepuff’s aren’t known for being reckless and aggressive. The only house known for either of those things is Gryffindor house.

In Charms class a few days later, Hermione expresses her doubts about having these meetings after what happened when they talked to Sirius last night. I guess they were almost caught by Umbridge. She was nervous that they would have a good chance of not getting caught now that they know Umbridge is obviously watching everything that everyone does in this school without anyone knowing. We were all able to convince her to keep going with the plans.

The end of October and the beginning of November brought some nasty weather. Quidditch was postponed until the weather cleared up. Harry said Dobby the house elf told him about the perfect room to have our secret classes in. We went searching for it and we were able to host our first ever classes there.

We had come up with a name for our group, the D.A., which stood for Dumbledore’s Army. Because that’s what the Ministry were scared of, that Dumbledore would have his students start an Army and overthrow the Minister and Dumbledore would take his job, which is so far from the truth but we still went with it. It had a nice ring to it, and it was a name we all agreed on.

We started out as simple as we could for the first spell of the day, Expelliarmus. Which is to disarm your opponents of anything they have in their hands. We paired up in groups of two and we took turns trying to disarm each other. Jude teamed up with Amala, and Hannah teamed up with Sadie, Lollie teamed up with Rain, Ron and Hermione teamed up together, and I watched as the twins teamed up as well. I started to do my duty as co-teacher and I looked around at the other students. They were all doing okay, except George. It looked like his aim was off, that or he was hitting Fred in his abdomen on purpose for something.

I walked over to them and said, “Everything okay here boys?”

“Oh yeah, we’re doing great,” smiled George.

“Yeah?” I ask, giving him a look, “Because it looks like you’re trying to blast your brother all the way to London.”

“Maybe he needs some private lessons from the co-teacher,” jokes Fred with a chuckle. Only he would flirt with me for his brother.

“He’s going to get just enough here, I promise,” I reply, but I did have a slight smile on my face. “Here, let me help. Your aim is all off,” I take George’s wrist into my hand and direct it to where he should be pointing at. We probably looked so funny right now, he was so tall and I am very petite. He towers over me. “You should be aiming at him there.” I take a step back from him, “Okay, now try it.”

“Expelliarmus!” Shouts George and Fred’s wand goes flying to the ground next to him.

“Perfect!” I exclaim, “You’re doing great guys! Keep it up!” I tell them and walk away.

All in all it was a great first lesson. We had them all leave in small groups here and there so a big crowd didn’t attract any unwanted attention and Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I were the last ones to leave gloating about how awesome that all just was.

Another few weeks later the Quidditch teams had gotten in enough practice that we could start playing against each other like we usually do. The first match was Slytherin VS Gryffindor, natural enemies. My Hufflepuff friends and I got there first and we sat together in the stands. Whenever an opposing team played Gryffindor that wasn’t mine, I always cheered for Gryffindor. My dad was a Gryffindor, and some of my closest friends are Gryffindor’s, so of course I wanted my friends to win. I would cheer for Ravenclaw if I had any Ravenclaw friends that played, but I don’t.

This was Ron’s very first match on the team. He’s a keeper this year, and he is rather nervous about his first ever game. I don’t blame him, when I joined the team our second year, I was terrified to be a Beater on an actual team, but I ended up loving it and I know Ron will love his new position on the team as well.

We all listened to Lee Jordan’s commentary as it ran through the stadium, “Listen to the crowd! They’re loving this! What is that they’re singing?” He took a pause and we could hear what the Slytherin’s were singing.

Weasley cannot save a thing
He cannot block a single ring
That’s why Slytherins all sing
Weasley is our King! 
Weasley was born in a bin
He always lets the Quaffle in
Weasley will make sure we win
Weasley is our King!

They got louder and louder as the game went on, making sure Ron could hear them. It got to him, you could tell, because he started messing up. Gryffindor ended up winning only because Harry caught the Golden Snitch and got them an extra 150 points on top of the lead they already had. Harry was hit in the back with a Bludger and fell to the ground, landing hard, so Hermione and I ran out to the pitch to make sure he was okay, we all knew the game was over anyways.

When we reached Harry, Draco flew by on his broom and hovered over the air where Harry was so we could hear his nasty, smug voice. “Saved Weasley’s neck, haven’t you?” He said to Harry. “I’ve never seen a worse keeper…but then again…he was born in a bin…did you like my lyrics, Potter?” Harry did not answer; he turned away to meet the rest of the team who had just reached him as well.  “We wanted to write a couple more verses!” Calls Malfoy, “But we couldn’t find rhymes for fat and ugly, we wanted to talk about his mother, see we couldn’t fit in useless loser either for his father, you know.”

By now the twins have realized what’s going on, the Slytherin’s laughed, but the Gryffindor’s stiffened. “Leave it,” I whisper to George. “He’s just sore that he lost.”

“But you like the Weasley’s, don’t you Potter?” Continued my stupid ex. “Spend Holidays there and everything, don’t you? Can’t see how you stand the stink, but I suppose when you’ve been dragged up by Muggles even the Weasley’s hovel smells okay.”

Harry then grabbed George and I helped keep him still as the other female players kept Fred back, and Hermione was talking Ron down now. What bothered me the most about this behavior from Draco is that it’s because of me. He’s jealous he saw me hanging out with George alone, and when Pansy called me George’s girlfriend I didn’t tell her that I was, but I also didn’t say that I wasn’t. So he decided to come at one Weasley and now he’s coming after all of them. It’s despicable.

Malfoy just didn’t know when to quit it, he decided to keep going. “Perhaps, you can remember what your mother’s house stank like, Potter, and Weasley’s pigsty reminds you of it.”

Harry releases George then, and George shoves me aside. Not so hard that I fell to the ground but hard enough that I was forced to let go of him. A second later they were sprinting at Malfoy together. Harry tackles him and they both start punching Malfoy as hard as they could anywhere they could land a hit. So many of us were screaming at them to stop it, but our cries landed on deaf ears.

Madame Hooch came and broke them up with a spell. The three of them were forced to go see their heads of house, which was not about to be a pleasant visit. Ron told me at dinner that night that George, Fred, and Harry were banned from playing Quidditch and they had to give up their brooms to Umbridge.

I went over to the Gryffindor table at dinner and I told them how sorry I was to hear the news about Quidditch. They didn't seem too beat up about it. They were happy to have the extra time to focus on their shop. That was nice to know.

__________________
Here's part 17!

As if it already wasn't satisfying enough, George punching Draco is even more satisfying in this story.

I love it.

-Emily Winchester.