- 19 -

"Edward, I think we might have finally found some kind of evidence!!"

Edward rushed to the side where Scarlett is and turned his head to the motionless hand of the victim which the female detective is pointing her hand to. He leaned forward to get a closer look at the so called 'evidence'.

"Is it... hair?" He questioned with a quizzical face, trying to identify what he was seeing.

"It looks like it but... it seems like some sort of... fur..." Scarlett's voice trailed off as she tilted her head to get a better view of it.

"Has the body been photographed? Can we move it now?" Edward asked from a nearby police officer who took a moment to verify his memory and nod. "Get it out Scarlett." He commanded.

Marvin and Kevin also drew nearer to the body, carefully stepping where there were no blood while Scarlett wore her gloves and cautiously got what they wanted from the victim's fisted hand. Her eyebrows furrowed when she got up slowly from her crouched position, eyes fixated on the evidence.

"It's definitely not hair." Her voice was dripping with bewilderment as she handed the fur-like material to Edward.

"It's so dense and hard. I've never seen anything like it." He confirmed what detective Hawthorne had sensed, adding more to the confusion.

"Maybe she ripped it out of the murderer. Who knows, he could be a guy who applies so much gel that gets his hair this hard." Marvin told, half seriously and half jokingly which the team leader and the ace detective didn't pay any attention to.

"Sounds like Vincent to me." Kevin voiced with a sour tone.

"It's not hair, hair is... different. I've never seen anything like this." Edward continued to wonder as Scarlett was also lost in her own thoughts, looking at the dark ash colored fur-like material on her senior's palm.

It was not all just plain dark grey. The color on it was mesmerizing almost, if you could say. It was all black with a hint of silver too, as the girl figured out the longer she stared at it. Whoever had a hair like this, his hair will be a sight that'd be too great of an opportunity to miss.

"Let's send this to Frank for now and just look for anything else. We might get something new too." The leader teared his eyes away from the evidence finally that they managed to find, giving it to Kevin to hand it out to Frank of the police forensic unit. Everyone gained their composure  and started examining the crime scene thoroughly looking for other things they could find.

"Umm Edward?"

It was Kevin's voice which drew the attention of the officers again. He was about to show them something else that he found pretty interesting, before being interrupted by a whimper. Everyone turned to the sound to see Scarlett in a distressed status, her hand clutching her stomach area, almost as if she was hugging herself in pain. Every one rushed near her and asked if she was okay but all she could muster up was that it hurts. It wasn't as painful as before in the van but that didn't mean it wasn't painful at all. She was feeling as if someone was torturing a deep wound on her body over and over again and the masculine voice from before was echoing through her mind once again.

"Scarlett, you're going to the hospital now and Kevin, stay with her. End of discussion" Edward ordered the young detective who took on the responsibility without a word of discontent. Scarlett knew she was too weak to stay and help to find anything useful for the team to resolve the case. It's not like she didn't trust their ability on this field. If anything, Marvin and Edward were better than her.

And so within a few minutes time, Kevin was accompanying the female detective in the police can that was heading towards the hospital. Scarlett had started to sweat at this point and the ache didn't seem to die down for some reason. Soon they arrived at the hospital and after a quick check up on Scarlett's status, the doctors decided to admit her and run a few tests to see what the exact problem was. They were baffled a little but it didn't seem like she had been diagnosed with an unknown disease therefore there was no insane panic.

"No!! Edward ordered me to stay with you and that's exactly what I'm gonna do." Kevin said as a reply to Scarlett's uttering to get him to leave.

"You need to be at the crime scene helping Edward and Marvin. Even if you do stay here you won't be doing anything other than looking out of the window like a depressed teenager. Besides, I'm a grown woman, I can handle myself." She said back, wanting Kevin to leave the hospital and join the investigation more than anything. She knew as much as Kevin liked to keep her company, he wanted to get this case over with as well.

"Edward's gonna kill me for this." He sounded defeated, finally giving into what the elder was saying. "Okay I'll go. But after the work at the scene is over, I'm coming here at once." He added. The girl nodded and gave a reassuring smile which convinced the young detective that she was somehow going to be alright for a while.

He picked up her coat and went out the door after giving Scarlett one last silent plead to take care of herself. Honestly, he was conflicted inside. He didn't want to leave. He wanted to stay with her every single minute to make sure she's safe. But he didn't. Was he finally letting go of the girl so she could carry on with her life? He didn't know. But there wasn't a doubt that he'll be waiting for her, if she ever wanted to come to him. He was going to wait.

"I prefer it if you come inside and talk to me directly than spying about me from the door." Scarlett let out loudly to hear from outside the door, after she had confirmed that the sound of Kevin's footsteps had faded away from her hearing.

"Looks like he wasn't wrong after all, you have very heightened senses than I imagined." A male voice replied to her from the other side of the door of the hospital room she was admitted to.

Someone opened the door and let themself in. Scarlett observed the person closely to see it was a young man, probably the same age as Vincent or maybe just a year or two younger or even same age as herself. It was possible to say he was well dressed, a blue colored smart casual attire. He seemed polite but Scarlett didn't want to jump into conclusions just yet, considering there was a little tough and combative touch to the aura he gave out. The most prominent expression in his features was that he appeared to be tired, worn out mostly and it looked as if he was deeply worried about something.

"Who are you?" Scarlett asked from the mysterious man in front of her.

"I'm here to check up on you as per the orders of my superior." He stated calmly, eyes not looking into Scarlett's as if an assistant wouldn't look directly at their chief's eyes.

"I asked who you are. And who is your superior?" She questioned once again.

"My name is John Carter. And my superior is...

... Vincent Kennedy."

[A/N]
👀