08

XAVIER

Walking between the Streeters in rags, we journeyed through the buildings. Indianapolis was a much more spacious city than the ones we usually visited. The crowd wasn't as thick and the skyscrapers, which weren't quite so neck-breaking, were given breathing room.

I could feel Arielle's presence next to me, but I barely paid her much attention. I was too focused on my mother who was smiling and pointing at the different buildings and landmarks. Her hand gently rested on my arm as if she was trying to guide me.

"I always loved bringing you two to this city when you were younger. Much harder to lose you in these crowds than in the other cities, especially since you two were explorers."

"Xavier was the one doing most of the slipping away," Damien remarked from mom's other side. "I was only the innocent child dragged along on his escapades."

"Nope," Arielle jumped in. "That was me. You were a willing accomplice."

"Lies."

"Plus, this one didn't have another city floating above it to block the sun," she continued.

She lifted her face up to the sky, closing her eyes and basking in the gentle warmth, her skin perfectly clear. Not a single grey strand appeared amidst her chestnut hair. While my father looked older than he was, my mother always seemed to be twenty years younger whether it came to personality or appearance.

"If you wanted the sun, we could've gone to Los Demonios," Gladys remarked. "At least the surroundings would've been more interesting."

"I just felt the urge to visit Indianapolis for a change," she responded and winked at Arielle.

Arielle asked my mother instead of her's. It wasn't a bad move as Gladys would've refused while my mother would simply analyze the implications of the situation and decide based on the consequences. I wouldn't be surprised if Arielle even told her the extent of our plan to bring back her sister.

Of course, my mother always manipulated by using people's trust. She'd been building Arielle's trust in her since we were children, even when Arielle was only supposed to be a royal. Having Arielle's trust could let my mother manipulate her however she wished when she ascended the throne.

I believe my mother does the same for Damien and me, taking the role of confidant in our family. After all, it was how she survived. The tactic was engrained into her as it let her climb to such grand heights from a measly second-generation Lower Court assassin to fighting for a spot amongst the Upper Court. And, once she got there, the same tactic made her win over my father and make her Queen of the Intellects.

I would be a fool to pretend that some of the affection she showed was pure, but it would also be petulant to believe there was no love in her actions.

"Do you remember that fountain?"

My mother pointed at a rising fountain, its sides grey and dull compared to the ones in Cressida. I shook my head.

"A few times, when you were six, you would climb up onto the ledge and dance around the fountain in circles. The Streeters laughed and cheered and would ask when was the next time you would dance. You always used to clap and say 'When everyone else is too tired to do it!'"

Her eyes sparkled at the memory and I offered the smallest smile. Her grin turned wide.

"Here we are," Gladys announced.

We stopped across the street from the wide doors of a boutique store. The store sat at the very bottom of a large glass skyscraper, though—looking through the glass—there didn't appear to be anything of value in the lower floors.