Chapter 4

Something in the way he speaks to her now comforts her. She feels a little less alone and frightened. She's still incredibly embarrassed and has no idea how she can make this better but she isn't afraid of him now.

He looks at her, sitting awkwardly on the hard concrete floor and he notices white dust all over her black skirt. He stands up, brushing off his trousers, running his hand through his hair to straighten himself and walks closer to her.

"You're getting filthy on the ground. Here," he reaches out his hand to help her up. She takes his hand, it's warm and soft, his strong arm lifts her off the floor and she struggles to wipe the dust off of her skirt as she stands close to him. He watches her feeble attempts to clean her skirt.

"You missed a lot," he says as she turns her body around to look back at her bottom. He begins to wipe the dust off her skirt. She watches him, realizing it's Kim Taehyung brushing dirt off of her bum and she flushes with embarrassment and pulls away.

"Thank you, I can get the rest," she says and he looks up realizing he's embarrassed her. He turns to a discarded pile of things in one corner.

"Well we can't stand here all night, maybe there is something here we can use to sit on." He walks to the pile and begins sorting through it. She watches him as she finishes cleaning off her skirt. "Here," he comes back to stand beside her, holding up a long piece of a cardboard box that has been flattened. "There's enough room for us both to sit on this I think." He places it onto the floor near the back wall and sits down, resting his back on the wall, and stretching his legs out.

She stares back at him, unsure what to do. He holds his hand up to her. She slowly walks toward him and takes his hand, using it to help her lower herself down onto the cardboard, still trying to be graceful in the tight skirt and heels.

"Thank you." She releases his hand and sits beside him, checking to be sure she is not touching the floor and she has to scoot closer to him to stay on the cardboard. She sits staring straight ahead, close to his body, feeling the warmth of him so close to her. She presses her head against the back wall and looks up at the high ceiling in the dimly lit room. Her body shivers from the cold. She wishes she had her coat back, and she notices Taehyung doesn't have his coat either. They both sit quietly, chilled and awkward for a long moment before he breaks the silence.

"I suppose it's a bit late for introductions?" he teases. "But, I'm Taehyung."

"I know." She tries to smile. "I'm Isabel."

"I know," he repeats. "I don't know if I'd say it's nice to meet you Isabel, considering the circumstances."

"Likewise." She smirks and shakes her head.

"We are in a room with no windows, no other doors, no way out for the night...Want to play twenty questions?" He looks over at her and she smiles, more at the absurdity of the whole situation. At least she doesn't feel afraid for her life anymore.

"You choose first," she says. He thinks and looks around the room.

"Ok, I have an object in mind."

"Is it an animal?" she asks, sliding her knee up to adjust the heel of her shoe on her foot, trying to get comfortable.

"Yes," he responds watching her.

"Is it dangerous?"

"It can be."

"Is it Chloe?" she asks looking up at him. He laughs, his big boxy grin spreading across his face. She blushes a little at the idea that she made Kim Taehyung laugh.

"No," he's still chuckling.

"Is it bigger than a bread box?"

"What's a bread box?" He looks at her confused.

"I don't know, you hear people say that, I think it means like a box for carrying shopping in, maybe."

"You can't ask questions if you yourself don't know what it means. Go again."

"Is it smaller than a car?"

"Yes, definitely." He smiles.

"Is it bigger than...me?"

He leans back looking her over, taking a long look.

"No."

"Is it bigger than my hand?" He lifts her hand up inspecting it.

"Yes."

"Is it a cat?"

"Nope."

"Ah ha, then it's a dog."

"Why would you immediately guess that?"

"Because you said 'nope' not 'no' which means I'm close to guessing."

"But you haven't guessed yet?"

"Oh, right. Is it a dog?"

"Yes." He looks a little sad as he answers. She recognizes this.

"Is it your dog?"

He nods his head, preferring not to answer out loud.

"Is your dog ok?" she asks, a little afraid to hear the answer.

"I hope so. He's inside the house alone, and because it's Christmas Eve no one is coming by to walk him or feed him."

She looks back at him a little sad herself. "I'm sure he will be OK for one night. I'm sure we will all be OK for one night," she says looking around her sparse surroundings. She sighs at their predicament, and looks over at him, questioning.

"What is it?" he asks, noticing she's looking at him.

"I'm surprised you're spending tonight alone to be honest."

"Why? You are too."

"Well, I couldn't go anywhere, I have to work the day after Christmas."

"So do I," he says arguing. "but then I'm suppose to go to Paris, in three days, for a month," he tells her, being unusually forthcoming with someone he doesn't know and who is somehow part of a kidnapping plot.

"Oh I doubt that very much," she says to him. He looks up at her frowning.

"Why?"

"Because there will be the trial and all sorts of legal issues to deal with, you know, when we get out of here and have Chloe and that guy arrested for Kidnapping." He groans loudly.

"That's all I need. I barely get time off as it is. I've been doing performances for every TV show from here to Berlin for the whole holiday season. It's probably our busiest year yet and we haven't had a real day off for about 5 months straight."

"OK, I officially feel sorry for you now. All I have to deal with is a job that my boss treats like it's 24/7, coworkers who treat me like a threat, an empty apartment I've yet to furnish properly, and one friend who is going to be in prison soon."

"OK I officially feel sorry for you now," he repeats back to her, smiling. There is a moment between them that feels connected, and it feels genuine. She blushes a little and looks down to avoid his gaze. He notices and he reaches out slowly and lifts her chin toward his face with his finger, forcing her eyes to meet his.

"It's nice to meet you Isabel," he says softly.