SNOW!

Okay, this one-shot isn't for any competitions or anything, just for fun. I guess you could say it's in honor of the holiday season, which is basically my favorite time of year. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it! 

"IT'S SNOWING!"

Dex's eyes shot open, the yells having awoken him. He felt a surge of panic as he tried to figure out why people were screaming, but when his eyes found the wide-open window, he rolled his eyes. Seriously? His siblings had woken him up with their yelling just for snow?

Dex sighed as he sat up. He was one of the few elves he knew that lived someplace where it snowed. After all, who in their right mind would choose to live with cold, slushy snow when, with their infinite money and leaping crystals, they could just as easily live someplace tropical and warm? With sun? And beaches? And... just anything but snow?

He groaned when he remembered Biana was coming over today too― not because he didn't want to see her, of course. They'd started dating just a few months ago, and he'd honestly loved every second of it. But he'd been planning a relaxing afternoon with her in the open, grassy fields of Rimeshire― not in the snow-covered hills. Why, why, hadn't he bothered checking the weather first?

"DEX!"

His bedroom door burst open and Rex, Lex, and Bex all stood there. Dex flopped back onto his bed, grabbing his pillow and pulling it over his ears.

"Dex, it's snowing! Look, look, out the window, right now! There's like six inches out there! C'mon, let's go build a snow fort! Then we can attack Mom and Dad with snowballs!" Lex exclaimed.

"Or we could go attack you with snowballs!" Bex suggested wickedly.

"What? No, you can't throw snowballs at me!" Lex complained.

"Wanna bet?" Rex asked.

"MOM! DAD! REX AND BEX ARE TEAMING UP AGAINST ME!"

"LAST ONE OUT IS THE TARGET!" Bex cried.

"IT'LL BE YOU!" Rex agreed, and with that, the triplets were gone faster than they'd come.

Dex sighed when they left. He couldn't believe the triplets actually liked snow. Then again, he'd enjoyed it when he was younger. He was sure that in a year or so, the novelty would wear off, and they'd realize that snow was nothing but a disgusting, cold mistake mother nature had made.

Dex lingered in bed for a while, the snow having ruined any motivation he'd had to get up. But eventually, he did. After all, he did have a girlfriend to impress.

A couple of hours later, the long-awaited knock at the door came, and since the triplets were outside, Dex didn't have to race them to the door for once. What a nice change.

"Dex!" Biana greeted eagerly when he opened the door. She was looking as beautiful as ever, wearing a heavy coat with fake fur around the hood and a baby pink beanie over her head. Her dark hair fell in curls down her back, and her red cheeks and excited smile made Dex's heart skip a beat. Sometimes he wondered how in the world he had ended up dating this amazing girl.

"You didn't tell me it snowed!" Biana exclaimed.

"Oh, yeah..." Dex said. "Sorry, I know it kinda ruined the afternoon, but maybe we can go somewhere else, or just hang out inside..."

"Are you kidding me?" Biana asked. "This is amazing! Everything just looks so pretty, the snow-covered trees and fields... the only time I've ever seen snow was from a Froster! I've never seen the real thing!"

"Really?" Dex asked, surprised. The snow was such a regular thing for him, it seemed weird that some people had never seen snow just falling naturally.