Chapter Two

WHEN YOU'RE THIS close, the Resistance building is rather terrifying. Twenty-five floors of glass and steel. Capturers at every door and patrolling the area, each with their guns pointed towards the sky.

According to my father, he has too much work and cannot carry it home by itself. I lost rock, paper, scissors between Sam and I.

With my head down, I approach the main double doors.

Just as I think I'm in, two Capturers stop me.

"State your name and business." One says. I can't see their eyes behind the white helmet, but I've always pictured them to be blood red. Beady. Scarred. Scary. I've always imagined them looking into my soul and pulling it out with every blink.

"M-Mavis Sterling. My father has requested my assistance." I say, looking at their shoulders. I hear their heavy breathing. One of them puts their hand on my shoulder.

"Miss Sterling, follow us." He turns and pushes me into the Resistance building. The lights are so bright, they blind and sting. I squint my eyes as I am forced against a desk.

A woman with fiery hair, and thick-rimmed glasses looks up at me.

"How can I help?" She asks to the Capturers more than me. She's not scared of them. She talks to them like they are normal, human.

"Page Peter Sterling and tell him his daughter is here."

Please I say in my brain. If Sam and I spoke like them, the back of our knees would be slapped by my father.

She nods, presses a button, and speaks into the bottom of a phone. "Mr Sterling, your daughter is here." A second later he buzzes back, I can't understand him, but she smiles. "Please wait by elevator three." She points to the left. I look over and see the row of elevators that seem to go around the entire building.

I'm pushed forward towards the elevator, the hand of the Capturer digging into my shoulder.

I keep my eyes on the number as it pings from floor thirteen to zero. The doors spring open, and my father is stood in the middle of the elevator.

"Thank you, gentlemen." He smiles to the Capturers, and nods towards me. I'm pushed into the elevator, and smile at my father.

Its like I'm a prisoner the way they treat me.

My father presses the number thirteen, and the doors slowly close shut-

"Hold the door!" Someone shouts, and my father's hand slices through the gap. The elevator opens once again, revealing, Veronica Blanchard.

I don't stare at her too long. I feel like if I do, I'll turn into stone.

She's wearing a very formal and tight blue dress. The neck of the dress falling low enough to give a sneak peak to her breasts. Her hair is twisted, and two large gems fall from her ears. As she walks into the elevator, she wedges herself beside me.

"Peter." She smiles, "And this must be your daughter,"

I keep my eyes on the floor.

"Margo is it?"

The floor to this elevator is glass. Anyone can look straight up-

A knee pushes itself into the back of mine. I look up, into the eyes of Veronica Blanchard.

Slowly.

Turning.

To.

Stone.

"Sorry, what was that?" I ask.

"Your name, Margot?" She asks. I feel like scoffing. She must know my name. I've heard that she knows it backwards.