Important Message

Hello. My name is Madeleine Rose and I have a few important things I want to address. Harry Potter, in my opinion, is the best fandom. Feel free to disagree with me, but this passion of mine with J.K. Rowling's creation is very personal so I really hope that you will respect it.

As much as I love this fandom, it's becoming extremely toxic over the last few months. I have a dear friend that works on my edits who is contemplating leaving the fandom because of the suffocation between different ships. The biggest problems, as I see it, are between those who ship Dramione, Romione, and Drarry. I've seen Ron-bashing in Dramione fanfics, heard comparisons between Draco and Hermione and Nazis and Jews, and I've personally been attacked on Instagram for voicing my opinions. But I'm not the only victim. We're all offenders and victims, I'm sorry to tell you.

I've seen it, you've all probably seen it, but they say it's extremely important to respect the ships. Well, I'm here to tell you that it doesn't mean you have to like it. No one can change your opinions. But the respect isn't for the ships, it's for the writers and artists that take time out of their day to create content for not only their fans, but also for themselves.

From a personal point of view, I've struggled to write my own story, never knowing how to finish, but working with others and reading their work inspires me with such heartache that I'm setting aside my fears momentarily to write what I want. And hey, if people like my stuff, that's a plus. But to tell me I'm insane or wrong for thinking x, y, and z is really unkind and hurtful. As a person working to overcome insecurities and my own demons, criticism doesn't really help, and I'm sure many people can relate. And if you can relate, I'm sorry, because I know firsthand it doesn't feel good.

This hatred against other ships because of disagreements has made the fandom toxic. When commenting on a person's content, we oftentimes forget that this is a fanfiction. These characters we are using are already someone's fictitious creation, we're just fans exercising our abilities as artists and writers for the sake of entertainment, which, in itself, should be honorable. So comparing Dramione to a relationship between a Nazi and a Jew is completely inappropriate, as it doesn't apply to the fandom, and it is also unkind and hurtful to the artist/writer.

Here's another thing: writing fanfictions means that you are actively participating in creative writing. It's expressive. In a way, it's a healthy kind of selfishness because you're writing content for yourself first--you're writing what you want--and then allowing other people to see it too. But that makes us vulnerable; by posting personal creativity online, we're consenting to criticism, praise, and someone else's opinions. So as readers and viewers, we must not abuse that privilege of consent by hurtfully criticizing another person who CHOSE to share their talents with us. Me included.

Writing non-canon stories can sometimes be the best work of art. You know why? Because it allows readers to expand their imagination. It shows us just how creatively the author/artist thinks. I say the more outrageous it is, the more inventive! Especially if you can pull it off! Sometimes those are the best fanfictions. I am in no way saying that those that stick to the head-canon are any less imaginative, I'm just giving everyone a reason to appreciate others' work, even if you heavily disagree.

I love Ron Weasley. But I also love Dramione. That's why, when I write my fanfics, I stick to a storyline in which he is not being bashed, but I'd be lying if I denied that I've read really good fanfictions where he is portrayed as abusive or arrogant.

It's funny actually, that we're all so passionate about our opinions regarding the fandom that we verbally attack those who oppose us, and we forget what Harry Potter is all about. For instance, being rude to a Drarry fan if you're a Hinny fan is not much different than the rivalry between Death Eaters and Order members. We're becoming the stories we read about, and that's not right. We need to find a balance between our personal fantasies and the pre-existing work of J.K. Rowling, the two worlds can fit nicely together if there are boundaries. Understanding how far one should practice respect is one boundary we need to learn for ourselves.

We're all fans of Harry Potter. We can't forget that. If you ship Hinny, Dramione, Romione, Druna, Huna, Drarry, Drapple... I've even seen one of McGonagall and Ron getting down in the dirty, I guess I'm saying that your opinions of them don't matter nearly as much as your good judgement is worth. Regard your fellow writers and artists with respect no matter what, please. I beg you. Yes. I am begging you. I know it's cliché, but kindness really does go a long way.

Here I have listed a few of my favorite HP fanfiction writers so we can share this message. This is really important:

Junmyeon_Oh

rosy914

SlytherinPrincess002

mann101978

queenforever164

Clevermess

ronmioneangels

randomproblematic

JamieEllen_