[20] viva la resistencia

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter twenty!
VIVA LA RESISTENCIA
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( the overlooked, pt

( the overlooked, pt. i )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"WE HAVE TO tell Derek."

Vera sits in the waiting room of Deaton's animal clinic with Stiles and Isaac, shivering even with a towel wrapped around her shoulders. Though her hair is mostly dry by now, her soaked clothes still continue to drip water onto her seat and the linoleum tile floor. Her leg bounces in time with her nervous energy.

"Vera, I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be going anywhere," Deaton tells her. He appears in the doorway with his hands shoved into the pockets of his lab coat, giving her a firm look that she knows all too well. "You need to rest. Your body experienced the effects of a smudge stick for the first time and has to recuperate."

"I've been sitting here for fifteen minutes," she counters. "That's resting."

Deaton's expression hardens to one of asperity.

"Look," she sighs. "You of all people should know that the people Derek dates tend to be psychotic in some way." Except for Paige, her brain reminds her as soon as the words leave her mouth, but she doesn't mention that. "He deserves to know before Jennifer can manipulate him any longer."

"And I of all people know you won't rest even after you do tell him," he argues. "You're not allowed to go to Derek's. Doctor's orders."

"You're a veterinarian."

Isaac glances between the bald-headed man and Vera's sour expression. "Sorry, did I miss something here, or...?"

It's not very common knowledge to other people that Deaton used to be the emissary to the Hale Pack when Talia was its Alpha. When they were little, Derek and Vera would sneak around to spy on the pack meetings and see him there. He'd even caught them multiple times but promised not to tell Talia— he and the Alpha had a special connection that Vera thinks may have been more than platonic.

"I'll tell Derek," Stiles offers. "Scott and I will go."

"While you're at it, take some of this." Deaton crosses the room and hands Stiles a small jar. "Mistletoe. A druid can use it, but it can also be used against her. You can use it to reveal her true form and prove to Derek that she's not who she says she is. Jennifer will likely try to convince him that you're lying about her."

"That's stupid," Isaac declares. "He could just listen to their heartbeats to find out if they're lying or not."

"This is also Derek we're talking about," Vera reminds him.