4. Rivalry

Draco

"Wiggenweld potion." God, she was stubborn. Wait until my father hears about this pureblood maniac of a girl. It's like she shows up at Hogwarts and automatically assumes she's significant only because of her family's past? She can get in line if that's the case.

"He petitioned something fascinating. Hiccoughing Solution." I clenched my jaw. This fool was driving me insane. How can one propose to assemble a Wiggenweld if all it does is heal or cure injuries? Who finds that amusing or fascinating in any way? That's just real science.

"If you two are done arguing, I infer taking Draco's advice. After all, it is a pretty delightful potion. If done correctly, both houses will gain ten points. If unsuccessful, you know the drill." Professor Slughorn suggested. I smirked, knowing I had won this trivial argument.

"Whatever," Emerald murmured, sighing in defeat. "Not so well-known now, are we?" I talked in a condescending complexion until I felt a force crush my foot. I strived to conceal the fact that her foot nearly killed me by remaining as calm and collected as possible.

"That's for being an unnecessary smartass." She glowed at me. Even her smile was ludicrous.

"Obviously, you've mistaken me for somebody who gives a shit. Now, get the plant and toss it in the pot." My voice got dangerously low. "Last time I checked, you wanted to do this potion. So, get your plants and throw them in your pot." She taunted my narrative.

"Oh, P.S., remind me to kill you once the class is over." She was lucky Slughorn was too busy to listen to her remark.

I dismissed her witty Slytherin-like insult and proceeded with the project, "Are you done with that yet? I need to use the-" My cold hand slightly bypassed hers, making me flinch back due to her radiating warmth. "Sorry," I whispered shortly. That's a word I'll never use again.

For the rest of the class, not one of us said a word. The touch we felt was louder than any word left unspoken. We both finished completing the potion together, and at the end, Slughorn came by to assess it. His eyes oversaw it before leaving his thoughts on our table.

"Very well. Correct use of plants, liquids, ingredients. Factually efficient. Ten points to Ravenclaw and Slytherin." Our houses cheered for our mission of success. I dared to look at her, and there she was, standing with her ridiculous smile.

Emerald

"I cannot believe such insanity. The only warning you get is to stay away from the Malfoy family, and Draco is the first person you befriend?" Luna clutched onto her books for dear life if it meant I answered no to her question.

"Draco is the last person anyone should ever build an alliance with here. Did you see what he said when we were on our way to Potions? That guy is something else."

"Tell me about it." She giggled. "I just don't look forward to this year's House Cup Competition."

"Why would you think that?"

"Have you two seen each other? Draco and you?" She glanced outside the garden and then back to me.

"Yeah, he's a pain in the ass; what does that have to do with me?" I made Luna chuckle with my subtlety coated insult.

"I mean," She tried to hold her laughter in, "The severe competition between you two. A Ravenclaw's intelligence and wit versus a Slytheryn's cunning ambition? That ought to be a show for everyone else here." I could tell she sounded stunned.

"You mean to tell me no one else here for the past four years has single-handedly challenged Malfoy? Obviously, apart from the Golden Trio's very own Potter?" I questioned.

"When you put it like that, no. Not really. Not even a girl."

"There's a first for everything then."