Deathswap 1: Sara-> Joe

Joe bit his lip. Sara, his best friend. She had the sacrifice card. No... there was no way. After voting she'd... she'd die... "Sara?" Sara turned to him, a weak smile planted on her face. "Sorry Joe. I tricked you, didn't I?" Joe shook his head. Could his best friend really be...dying soon? Miley clapped her hands. "Alright! Voting is over and done with, right? Oh dear, looks like our friend Kai Satou was voted out! And for our sacrifice, that would be Sara Chidouin!" Sara flinched as her name was called out. Was this really the end? Sara sighed. "Joe, I know I don't have a lot of time, and this is.. hard to say. But, I love you, Joe, you're my best friend!" Joe stood in shock as his friend said that. It took him a little, but he began to cry. His friend... couldn't really be leaving him... Not now! 

     Miley walked up beside Joe. "You care about your friend a lot, don't you? Well, what if I told you that there was a way to maybe... save her?" Joe's eyes lit up. "There is? Miley, please tell me how I can save Sara!" The doll chuckled, as she pulled out some sort of device. "See this clicker? If you click it enough, her execution may stop, hurry though! If you keep standing there, she might just become a meat bag of bones!" 

   Joe looked up to Sara, and to his horror, some sort of wrigglers had attached themselves to her body. In a panic, he snatched the device Miley possessed, as he began to frantically press the button. One click....two clicks...three clicks... Sweat mixed in with tears as the speed of the clicks increased. Four....five...six...seven...eight...Joe felt that he was almost there. He could feel it! He was going to save his best friend! Or so he thought...

    Sara let out a raspy scream, as the last bit of life and blood was taken from her. Sara had expired. Joe stared at Sara, with a sliver of hope in his eyes. "C'mon Sara...G-get up... Everyone's countin' on ya!" There was no response. "Sara...?" Miley let out a cackle. Joe tensed up hearing her. "Oh, Joe... You really are the one to not give up, hm? Well, in case you don't understand the gist as of now; Sara's dead." Joe shook his head and began to press the clicker again. "No...no! Sara can't die like that! She's too strong to just die!" The more he stared at Sara's dead body, the more he'd increased the speed of his clicks. Suddenly, he felt a hand go on his shoulder.  It was Keiji. "Joe, it's no use. We gotta let her go." Hearing Keiji telling him to stop, he completely broke down. He was at a loss. Losing his best friend...His best friend he promised to protect...He failed to do just that. "Poor Joe! Losing the friend he swore to protect! What a failure!" Joe had no strength to respond to her, he just let his tears wash over his face. "Well, I'd let you mourn over your friend, but you have to leave, sorry!" Adrenaline washed over Joe, panicking, he ran to Sara and hugged her lifeless body. "Sara, I'm sorry. I promised to protect you, from the stalker, from this, but I failed to do both..." Beside's Kai's death following Sara's, whatever else happened wasn't too clear, he was too tired and devastated to understand the surroundings. 

    Joe woke up, he felt groggy. That's weird. He never felt this tired. Looking around, he noticed he was in a bedroom. But it wasn't his, or any he knew. Was he still in the Death Game? He slowly moved his hand to his neck, flinching as he felt the collar still on his neck. He was still in this hell. The hell that killed Sara... 

    He let himself fall out of bed. Seeing that there was no mirror in this room, he turned to the window to look at himself. However, time froze as he realized a familiar face was reflecting on the window. It was Sara. Shocked, but relieved to see her, he ran to her reflection and smiled. "S-Sara?! Is that really you...?" The reflection of his best friend smiled. "Of course it is, Silly! It's me!" Joe felt overwhelmingly happy. "Sara!  Thank god you're here!" 'Sara' tensed up. "Of course I'm here. Though, quick question: Why did you let me die? You promised you'd protect me, but all you did was fail. Just like you failed to save me from my stalker." The joy from Joe suddenly vanished, hearing Sara asking the question left a lump in his throat. "I didn't... I didn't mean to Sara, I didn't try to fail you on purpose!" The reflection chuckled. It slowly phased out of the window, becoming apart of Joe's reality. "Oh Joe, if only you were fast enough..." Joe tried to push past who he thought was Sara but ended up crashing into the window.  Glass shard all over his arm. He winced as he turned around, only to see the hallucination still there ready to taunt him. "How do you even have determination left, Joe?  You failed me. You broke your promise."

    Joe was ready to try and run at his twisted version of Sara, before hearing a knock at his door. Looking up, he realized that Keiji was there. Keiji stared down at Joe with a somewhat concerned expression planted on his face. "You alright there, Joe?" Joe stared at the policeman, before turning his head around, only to see nothing but a peaceful bedroom. As if Sara was never there. Keiji sighed. "Joe, listen. Sara's gone. But she'd want us to stay strong for her, you know?" Joe hesitated for a minute, before nodding as a sign that he understood. "You're right, Sara would want me to continue and stop the Main Game, right?" Keiji nodded. "Yeah, she would." Looking at Joe, he just realized how drained he looked. Whether it was from the despair Sara's death gave him, or if he wasn't sleeping well regardless. Keiji pointed to the boy's bed. "Hey, get some rest, alright? Don't be like Mr. Policeman here." Joe turned to his bed and nodded. He immediately lay down and stared at the ceiling. He had hardly noticed that Keiji had left, he was too tired to notice anyway. As he slowly drifted from reality to deep sleep, he noticed that what looked like Sara was standing by his window. The visions of Kai Satou and Kazumi Mishima standing behind her.