III.

A/N: In some of the chapters I will have music that goes along with the story and it may be religious, so I just wanted to put a disclaimer here. Whenever I have music, I'll just put a small disclaimer. I hope you all enjoy this chapter. Thanks for reading and the feedback.

Friday evening, January 31th, 1985

Rev. DuWright

It's been two weeks since the first board meeting. That next sunday we announced brother James's idea to the church, and to his dismay, most of the church didn't take a liking to it. So, we presented sister Carla's idea. Most were on board with it , minus the youth of the church, who loved the idea of having a talent show. Brother James was upset about the whole thing, so I told him that we would still do his idea after the bake sale was over.

I figured the church wouldn't really like his idea of a talent show since most of our members consist of mostly elderly women, single mothers, and kids. Most of the women of the church love to cook so I knew they would jump on the idea of a bake sell. A few of them offered to use their food stamps to buy some of the ingredients which was good. And, they all agreed they all didn't want to be paid for cooking all the pies.

I am blessed, blessed, blessed
Blessed blessed blessed
Yes, yes, yes
I say yes

The Clark Sisters softly played through the speakers as I heard a sweet hum coming from the kitchen. Smells of sweet potato, apple, and peach pie cause me to make my way to the kitchen. There, my wife stands swaying over pie crusts humming along to the tune playing on the stereo.

Where'er he leadsme, I will follow
Where Jesus leads me, I'll go
Where'er he leads me, I will follow
Where Jesus leads me, I'll go

I smoothly wrap my arms around her waist as I rest my chin upon her shoulder, catching her rhythm as she still sways along to the music. I was surprised when she offered to make twenty pies herself.

"You love the Clark Sisters huh?" I ask already knowing the answer, while hoping I can persuade her into giving me at least one slice of pie.

"Mmhmm, you know that." She fills up some of the crust with peaches.

"Why you ain't never cook any pies for me? As long as we've been together you ain't never made me any pie. I mean I think I deserve one after becoming pastor." I speak in a low voice by her ear.

She looks back at me with a look of suspicion while still filling the crust. "I hope you don't think that's gonna make me give you a piece of one of these pies."

I chuckle at how fast she caught on. "Well..." I trail off.

"Boy." She starts off as she turns back to the pie. "Now you know these pies are for the fundraiser to raise money for the church."

I suck my teeth as I loosen my grip from around her waist, before leaning on the counter next to her. "Come on Dae, a lil piece won't hurt nothing." She slaps my hand as I reach towards an apple pie

"No Eric!" Getting aggravated with me, she pushes me out of the kitchen. "Out now! I can't have you messing up my pies."

"Dae it ain't even that serious, you trippin." I shoot at her

"No, stay in the living room or go somewhere else. Stop bothering me so I can finish these pies." I suck my teeth.

"How about you go take your son outside to get some fresh air."

"He's only three months old." I laugh softly pinching my nose while shaking my head.

"So he loves being outside." She assures me.