[21] the alpha and the darach

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter twenty-one!
THE ALPHA AND THE
DARACH
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( the overlooked, pt

( the overlooked, pt. ii )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"OH MY GOD," Stiles rambles. "Holy shit. Holy—"

"Stiles!" Vera sharply exclaims, snapping him out of his episode before it can escalate. "Cora! Not breathing! Do you know how to revive her?"

"Okay, okay, yes," he answers, exhaling slowly from his mouth to calm himself down. He shifts in his seat to give himself more space. "Here we go. Tilt the head, fingers on the chin, clear the throat..." He gently opens Cora's jaw, checking her esophagus for fluid. "Great, nothing. I see nothing. Alright. Okay, so, uh, just pinch the nose and blow."

Stiles does exactly that, pinching Cora's nostrils closed and breathing into her mouth. He repeats the action and then puts an ear to her heart. Vera becomes increasingly panicked when there's nothing, her own heartbeat thundering in her ears as it trips to keep up with her fear.

"Come on, Cora," he mumbles, blowing more air into her. When she still doesn't respond, he sharpens his voice. "Come on, Cora."

This keeps going on for several seconds, but for Vera, it feels like years. Stiles keeps attempting mouth-to-mouth again and again. She can tell that he's still panicking, but he's focusing his nervous energy into reviving her. Vera can't help herself from reaching forward and grabbing her sister's hand. She squeezes, mumbling a prayer under her lips— an action she hasn't done in a long time. But after these horrible past few weeks, she could use a gift from God right now.

After a few more attempts, Cora finally sucks in a breath on her own. Stiles pulls back with a relieved sigh when she begins coughing. Vera releases a thankful breath and drops her head onto the stretcher when Cora weakly squeezes her hand back.

"You know, the next time I put my lips to your mouth, you'd better be awake," Stiles says. Vera reaches over and smacks his arm without looking. He yelps, "Ow!"

"That's my sister," she reminds him through a hiss.

"I know, I was joking," Stiles grumbles. "Kind of..."

Vera pulls out her phone and checks for any updates. She sees a couple of new messages from Derek, Isaac, and Allison, all spaced out within a few minutes.

SOURWOLF: You okay? How is Cora?

LAHEY: where are you guys??? did you make it to the ambulance??

ALLY: On our way. Stay safe. Love you

ALLY: Btw, Lydia's okay

She responds to each of their texts in order, hoping that the messages will go through due to the hospital's terrible cell reception.