A New Discovery

"So, you believe that Baltus did all of that...?" Asked Jonathan while they were on their way to the Van Tassel house. "I do not believe, I just assume that it could be him. It is what makes most sense." Answered Y/N.

A couple of minutes of walking passed and they finally walked through the door of the house. They then walked up the stairs, into Ichabod's room. "Katrina? Why are you in my room?" Asked Ichabod. "Cleaning." Answered Katrina nervously. "I'll leave now." She said and walked to the door.

"But before I do, I want to ask you something. Where did you go?" Asked Katrina curiously. "To the notary. We had some questions for Hardenbrook." Answered Y/N.

"Oh, and did you learn anything of interest?" Asked Katrina. She was no longer staring at Y/N. Instead, she was now looking at Ichabod. "We may have..." Answered Ichabod.

"Good. By the way, my father thinks that you should go back to New York." Said Katrina.

"Oh, really? Why's that?" Asked Y/N curiously. "Well, I don't know...Perhaps he looked in your ledger and did not like what he saw."

Y/N looked at Ichabod's ledger.

"5 to 4

The secret

Conspiracy

Points to

Baltus"

"Shit." Thought Y/N and Ichabod to themselves. It had nothing to do with Baltus, yet, it seemed like it did. Ichabod just awkwardly closed the ledger. Katrina smiled and walked out of the door. However, before she did, she asked something, while looking at the papers in his hand. "By the way, what is that you're holding?"

"Just some evidence..."

"This is just...perfect." Said Y/N a couple of seconds after Katrina walked out of the room. Ichabod and Jonathan said nothing. Ichabod just sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, while Jonathan sat on his bed. Suddenly, Ichabod yelped and jumped up on a chair. Y/N was confused. She looked at what he was pointing at and jumped back. "It's just a spider..." Mumbled Jonathan. "Indeed. Oh, dear Lord, it went under the bed. Kill it! No, stomp it!" Said Ichabod with a shaky voice. "Do you mind helping me move the bed?" Asked Jonathan, but both Ichabod and Y/N shook their heads. They both hated insects so much. When Jonathan moved the bed, the three of them saw a big drawn circle with something else drawn in it. It looked familiar to Y/N and Ichabod. "The Evil Eye...It is someone casting spells against you!" Mumbled Jonathan. "Are you sure that that is its purpose? I've read about it somewhere, but I don't quite remember..." Said Y/N unsurely. "Well, I think that is its purpose."

"Wait...If someone is casting spells against me, it is probably because they don't want me to solve the case. You, Y/N, are also working on the case...um...maybe you should check under your bed too..." Said Ichabod concerned, after he finally got off the chair. Y/N's eyes widened and she quickly walked to their room, with Ichabod and Jonathan following behind her. When they got to her room, they quickly moved the bed.

There it was. Once again, the evil eye, drawn with pink chalk. Y/N assumed that it could be Katrina because she read what Ichabod's ledger said and she probably wanted to protect her father, but she didn't say anything. She didn't want to accuse anyone without enough evidence. She did seem a bit wicked.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When lunchtime came, Y/N, Ichabod and Jonathan, all sat at the kitchen table together with the Van Tassels, anxiously eating the delicious soup that Lady Van Tassel cooked. Usually, the servant girl Sarah cooked, but she was gone. She had ran away almost a week before that. Or at least that is what Lady Van Tassel had told them. The soup was always very delicious, no matter if Sarah or Lady Van Tassel cooked it, but this time Y/N was on the verge of throwing up. Not because it wasn't cooked well. But because she was very anxious and couldn't put any food in her mouth. "Are you alright, dear?" Asked Lady Van Tassel. She had noticed that Y/N was pale and barely eating.

Y/N just looked up at her with a confused look on her face. She had also zoned out and didn't hear what she asked. "Pardon, I didn't-" She mumbled and Lady Van Tassel politely cut her off. "I asked is everything alright. You seem a bit...sick...Or do you maybe not like my soup?" She repeated. "Oh, I'm fine. The soup is very delicious, as always, of course. I just uh...I don't really feel like eating... If you'll excuse me..." Mumbled Y/N and Baltus and Lady Van Tassel let her leave the table.

Ichabod didn't say anything. He just exchanged a very worried look with Y/N as she walked away. He knew what was bothering her and wanted to help, but didn't exactly know how to do that. He could go back to solving the case, but that wouldn't make her feel any better.

Y/N didn't come out of her room the whole evening. She just let some people like Ichabod, Katrina, Lady Van Tassel and Jonathan come into the room if they wanted to spend some time with her or bring her something. Katrina and her stepmom treated Y/N as if she were sick, even though she denied it many times.

That night, Ichabod came into Y/Ns room again. "Hey, are you feeling any better?" He asked. "Yeah, very. Now that I am laying above an Evil eye that we were too afraid to wipe off...And we have an unfinished case while people want us to go back to New York..." Answered Y/N, still pale, but not as much as earlier. She felt a bit better.

"Well, maybe you should leave your bed. You won't be laying above it and maybe you'll feel a bit better. Jonathan and I are going to try and work on the case. If you want to, you can join us for both your and my benifit. We also aren't going to do much without you..."

Y/N sighed and slowly got out of bed. Then, she followed Ichabod to the living room where a lot of papers and Jonathan were. She sat on a chair and began working. All three of them stayed up until nine o'clock, trying to figure out a lot of stuff.

As they were talking, they heard footsteps going towards the front door of the house, so they decided to follow the sound. They followed out of the house and into the woods. When they saw that the person had stopped walking, they also stopped, Ichabod and Y/N grabbed their pistols and walked closer to where the person was. "Jonathan, stay where you are, here's a pistol if you need it." Whispered Y/N before that.

When they approached a tree close to the person, they saw who it was. Lady Van Tassel. She wasn't alone though. There was someone else on top of her.

At first, when Lady Van Tassel lifted a knife above the person's back, they thought that she was going to murder the person, but as they were about to say something, she cut her own hand. She cut her hand with a sharp knife and smudged the knife on the other person's back. Ichabod and Y/N just went back to the house disgusted by what they have just seen. They also told Jonathan, but not everything in details. Then, they just grabbed the papers from the living room, went straight up to their rooms and fell asleep, not having any energy to do the work that they had started.