Festive Delights

Yang woke up to the intrusive beaming of lights, the sunlight invading her desperate attempts to remain in slumber. She groaned in annoyance, putting her hand in front of her eyes in a futile attempt to blot out the sun. She rolled over in her futon mat, the tatami flooring underneath softer than she had expected. Surprisingly, the futon was really comfortable, despite being made basically of 2 cotton sheets.

Yang was not a morning person. She hated the morning cold with a passion,  more tempted to stay in bed covered by her quilts and blankets than face the cold. There was also the fact that her hair was an absolute pain in the morning to deal with. Seriously, perfection is hard to achieve when your hair is tangled! Many feet of tousled blonde locks needing to be washed, combed, and treated, which took time. Time best spent in bed in her opinion.

Slowly, she rose from her mat and her gaze swept the room, the soft morning light illuminating the room. On the low table in the middle of the room lay a book, its contents  bare to the world. It was Jaune's book, she had seen him reading it on the Bullhead coming here. The cover looked interesting enough, but Yang knew it was probably really boring. Maybe like some philosophy or tactics book. 

But Yang grinned at a sight. His knapsack hung from the hook, gaping as it stayed suspended off the ground, its contents revealed to the world. Inside were some of the newest editions of X-Ray and Vav, the comic series they both held dear. He had guarded it jealously, adamantly refusing to let her preview it lest she spoil it for him. Yang grinned maniacally, her fanaticism getting the best of her reason. 

She rose and speed-walked out of the living room, missing the empty futon that lay in the opposite corner as her. From the sliding door, the sun reflected off the private onsen, beaming through the transparent roof and into the water, its rays illuminating the room. She failed to realize, too, that the showers had shown signs of use, the wash bucket filled with new water as the showerhead dripped with new droplets of water.

No, she was focused on her prize, the newest editions of her favorite series. Almost drooling, she grasped the paper backs and ran away, away from the doorway and to her futon, and slid in the cotton mats, pulling the cover over her head. She squealed in delight as she opened the first book.

And by the brothers, it was glorious. Time seemed to fly by as Yang soaked in the adventures of Callum Wilson as he danced his way through Star City, causing chaos and anarchy as Mason "Vav" Greenwich raced against time to stop the mad man on a rampage. With his partner out of combat, the sidekick now had to step into the light and introduce himself onto the stage. The pure enjoyment she got from just looking at the characters, it was sublime!

What Yang didn't realize, was the padding feet of Jaune returning from the training room. She only stopped when she heard the curt, "ahem", of her fellow blonde clearing his throat. Yang froze up in terror, not daring to peek from under her covers.

"Ooohhh shit," she whimpered internally, "I've done it now.

"H-heeyyy, Vomit B-Boy," she chuckled nervously, "A nice morning we're having, huh?"

"What are you doing under there, Yang?" Jaune ignored the question, and Yang could feel the glare even from inside the futon mat.

"Uhhhh, nothing of any importance?" Yang offered meekly.

She poked her head out of the cotton covers. The sight that welcomed her frightened her to her very core.

Jaune wore his yukata, looking as if he had come straight from the shower. His short hair dripped with shower water, the floor soaking with little droplets as he stood there, examining her. His ocean blue eyes stared holes into her face, silent rage written across his face.