1. Where it all began

Staring out the window of the small, rustic taxi travelling along the country road made me feel a little at home considering I was basically getting a factory reset on my idea of living conditions as I had only ever lived a nice house on a big farm.

Sorry, probably should introduce myself(awkward..) I'm Charlie Steenkamp. I'm 16 and going into my sophomore year.(year 10). I grew up on a farm in a small town in California but my parents wanted to give me the best opportunity to "bloom and get a good education" or they just wanted me out of the house for more then 9 hours a day.
My parents were on the wealthier side of the money spectrum so they could afford to send me all the way to New York to get a education for my last 3 years of school.

Suddenly I'm snapped out of my daydreaming about what the schools like to feel the car stoped because we arrived. I get out of the car and look at the massive building in front of me. It it's roughly 4 story's high with tall brick walls on the outside and 2 big wood doors. 5 or 6 big trees with students my age and older lead the way to the entrance of the building. I pay the driver, grab my stuff and walk into the building.

Students are all over the place, girls hugging their besties because 6 weeks without them is too long. Boys carrying the bags of the cute girls they want to have sex with. Boys talking about their holiday flings 🤮. I walk up to the reception to get my key and find out a bit about what the hell to do.

"How May I help you dear?" The lady behind the counter asks. She had pale skin that looked like it had never seen sunlight.

"Hi, I'm Charlie Steenkamp, I am a new student here and was told to come here to get my key for my dorm? I believe I would be sharing?" (My parents were rich but not quite rich enough to get me my own room.)

She takes a few seconds pressing keys on the keyboard. Then she pulls a face.

"Your Charlie Steenkamp?" She asks

"Yes?" I reply

"There must have been a mix up in the System, you in with a boy. Whoever made the list must have mistaken you as a boy"

"Oh" someone mistook ME as a boy??

"All the rooms are full unfortunately so you will have to stay in that room until someone gets expelled or leaves" she explains handing me a small dorm key. "4th floor, 121 is the room number. NEXT"

Polite much

I walk over to the elevator and hop in to head to floor 4. Once I get to the floor an exit the elevator I walk into a hallway filled with teenagers, some find rooms, some kissing
I manage to find my room and the end of another hallway and unlock the door. Thank god my roommate wasn't there yet.

The room you walk into is a big square with a couch in the centre facing a big tv and a fireplace. To the left was a door leading into a small bathroom with a shower, toilet, sink and small cabinet.  Just next to that was a big opening to a room with 2 beds, 2 wardrobes and 2 night-side tables. On the other side of the main room was an opening to a small room with a fridge, counter and stove that looked older then my grandparents, who had died about a year ago. Finally in a small areas with curtains hiding it, the washing machine and dryer.

I put my bag onto one of the beds and start to unpack and put everything away.

After about 10 minutes I had set everything up for my time here. Then I hear the door being opened.