Chapter Twenty: Absolutely, Undeniable

"This isn't happening," Tsukishima says, looking up from the espresso machine with an expression of horror. "Tell me this is a nightmare."

Keiji lets out a tired sigh. "Unfortunately that is not is the case."

There's a chime as the door swings open and the two volleyball players step into the café.

"Wow, this place is so cool!" Bokuto cries out. Half the customers turn sharply to look at the sudden distraction. "I can't believe I've never been in here before!"

"Indoor voice, Bo," Kuroo says, clapping his shoulder and pushing him toward the drink station where Keiji and Tsukishima are working. Luckily it's not very busy at this hour, so they're not backed-up with drinks to make.

Tsukishima levels his boyfriend with a glare. "Didn't I forbid you from coming here when I'm working?"

"Aw Tsukki, don't be that way! Bo wanted to stop by, how could I deny him?"

"Would you like a tutorial?" Keiji offers, and Kuroo cackles.

"Kaashi!" Bokuto says, still loud, but at least he's trying. "You're off soon, right? We can go home together!"

"Twenty minutes."

"Cool! Oh, hey!" He scrambles to pull out his phone. "Look what Kuroo and Kenma just got! This is what I want for Christmas!"

"Who says I'm getting you a Christmas present?"

"Aghaaasheeeeee!"

Keiji works to keep his lips in a straight line. He nods at the phone. "Show me."

Bokuto turns the screen toward Keiji, showing off a picture of Kenma lounging on a couch and playing his Switch with a small calico kitten between his arms, climbing up his chest to paw at his face.

"Isn't she so cute??"

Keiji doesn't want to admit that yes, she is very cute, so instead he asks, "You want a cat?"

"Yeah! Or a dog! Ooh, or an owl! Can we get an owl?"

"Absolutely not. Owls would make terrible pets. And we can't have a cat or a dog, either. It's not allowed in our lease."

"No fair," Bokuto says, slumping for three seconds before another idea strikes. "What about in the future?" he asks hopefully. "Can we move to a place that does allow pets?"

Keiji opens his mouth to reply but freezes because he doesn't know where to start. The way Bokuto phrased that makes it sound like they'll still be living together beyond the end of term, and they certainly haven't discussed anything like that. But it feels... right.

And Keiji doesn't know what to do with that. He needs time to process these ideas and feelings and Kuroo and Tsukishima are now looking curiously at him so he just sighs and says, "We'll see."

Bokuto hums happily because of course he takes that as a yes. And it probably is, Keiji realizes. It's become stunningly difficult to say no to him. Maybe Keiji is the one who needs the tutorial on how to deny Bokuto.

"Careful or he'll get you a cat for Christmas," Tsukishima teases.

"I doubt that," Keiji says. "Bokuto-san is an excellent gift giver."

Bokuto perks up, beaming, while Kuroo asks, "Oya? What did he end up getting you for your birthday? He was stressing about it for a week."

Keiji makes sure his sleeves are covering the lingering rope burn around his wrists from where he pulled too hard at the binds last night. "A book I've been wanting."