-1952, age 11-

School had just ended, and all the kids began streaming out of the doors. One pair diverged from the crowd, skittering across the yard to their tree. When the pair reached it, they dumped their school bags and sat with their backs leaning against the tree. There was a moment of silence before Betty let out a sigh, resting her head against John's shoulder.

"God, I'm sick of everyone." She mumbled, closing her eyes. John just hummed in agreement, digging his hand into his backpack and pulling out a small carton. She heard the crinkle of plastic as he opened whatever he had in his hand.

"Want one?" He asked, holding out the small box to Betty. She opened her eyes to see a fresh pack of Malboros in his hand. Tentatively she reached out and grabbed one.

"Where did you get these?" She questioned him, somewhat concerned.

"Snatched 'em from my old man's bureau. He usually goes and smokes one after he's real pissed at me, I figure they calm you down." He pulled a small match book from his pocket and struck it against the tree, lighting his own cigarette.

"You sure ya wanna be like your dad?" Betty asked, holding the stick delicately as if just holding it would stain her fingers. John frowned, growling slightly.

"Your ma smokes don't she, Bet?" He said, inhaling the smoke easily. This wasn't his first time. She considered his words. Every day she had come home from school to see her mom cooking dinner. And many days her dad never came home on time, so she'd feed Betty and send her off to get ready for bed. Then when she thought her daughter wasn't watching, Mrs. Martin would pull out a cigarette and lean against the kitchen counter, the lines on her forehead easing.

"Yeah, she does." A mumble escaped her lips as she raised the tip of her smoke to John's and inhaled. Coughing, she pulled it out of her mouth.

"You alright?" John asked, patting her back. "You get used to it."

Betty just nodded, leaning back against the tree and taking another drag. It wasn't smoking that put her dad in a bad way, it was drinking. So what was the harm of it, really?