Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Hermione POV

The Gryffindor Prefect refused to let herself mope about losing George at the school. Instead, she threw herself into her studies for the OWLs. The date for the big tests snuck up on her as well as the other 5th years out of nowhere.

The morning of the first exam, no one was really talking much at Breakfast. Hermione was trying to reread Achievement in Charming at a record pace and it was making her eye twitch. Pavarati was practicing incantations under her breath and broke into tears when she kept getting two of them mixed up.

Once the other students left the Great Hall, the tables were changed into rows of desks where each desk had a quill, ink, and a parchment paper that was completely blank. Professor McGonagall was standing facing them. Once everyone was seated, she flipped a large glass timer and said, "You may begin."

Hermione looked as the Professor waved her wands and the answers appeared on the parchment paper. She was reading as fast as she could and began to frantically circle the correct answers for the multiple-choice options and write down logical and intelligent answers for the short answer portions.

She was the first student to finish her exam and she re-read her answers multiple times before handing it into McGonagall. Her transfigurations professor gave her a rare smile before telling her she was free to go.

Hermione sat on a bench outside of the Great Hall and waited for the other two to walk out of the room. When she saw Harry and Ron she popped up from her spot. "Well that wasn't too bad was it?"

After lunch, it was time for the fifth years to complete their practical examination. When Hermione's name was called, she walked inside with her hands trembling at her side. When Hermione walked in, she wanted to silently curse her luck because she got paired up with McGonagall herself to do her practical exam. "Are you ready, Miss. Granger?"

Hermione nodded and completed the tasks that her professor was asking without a second thought, trusting her instincts and reminding herself to breathe after every incantation. Professor McGonagall thanked her for her time without giving her any inclination on how she had just done.

At the end of the week, Hermione slumped into the couch that was her favorite this year. She sighed and pulled out a blank piece of parchment. She hadn't written to George yet. She had to calm down and stop being angry first and then she was so swept up with the exam prep that she didn't want to take a second away from studying.

In her chest, she felt guilty. He was probably wondering why she hadn't written. She smoothed out the parchment and began to write:

George

How have you been? I'm terribly sorry for not writing sooner. I just have been so busy with all of the OWL exams! I'm so glad that we were able to practice extra this year (at Dumbledore's Army she thought to herself) because I think it really helped me ace some of my exams. Well I suppose I hope that I ace them. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

McGonagall gave me a smile when I turned in my Transfiguration exam which has to be a good sign. Snape even told me that I turned in an adequate potion which I think is the best compliment he has ever given me.

How is the joke shop coming along? Ginny tells me you and Fred moved out of the Burrow. That's a shame. I was hoping to see you this Summer when I visit Ginny and Ron. Perhaps you will have to give a tour of the shop and your flat.