King of Hearts ⚜ Ch. 3

A while later, they drove up through beautiful forest and pastoral lands to a grand estate tucked in the middle of it all. They pulled up front, where Ren was waiting for them.

"Welcome, Princess," he said, opening the car door.

She smiled. "Hello. I can't thank you enough for taking me in like this."

He nodded, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Of course. Come inside and get settled. You're welcome to go anywhere, do anything you please here. The servants will help with anything you need. My brother, sister, and I each manage a different aspect of the family business, we'll be in our offices during the mornings following breakfast. But other than that we will try to be good hosts."

"I see. Thank you." A servant took her bag into the house and she marveled at the expensive wood finish that she could see from the door. "I couldn't help but notice the beautiful stables on our way up. How many horses do you have?"

"Would you like to see?" he offered.

"Yes please." She smiled and followed him around to the side of the beautiful mansion where a small but exquisite stable was located. "Oh look at this..."

"Beautiful, isn't it? Do you ride?" Ren asked.

She nodded. "I always loved it as a girl."

With a small grin he suggested, "I'm sure you need to stretch you legs a bit after the drive. Care to take a turn around the property with me?"

"On horseback?"

He shrugged. "Walking, horseback, whatever you like."

Zaina looked at the horses and grinned. "Let's ride."

He smiled and called out to the stable hand. "Oi! Prepare two horses, please. Come on, Princess, you're going to love the view."

The stable hand brought out the horses and Ren helped her mount. She then followed him out onto the road.

"How long has this estate been in your family?" she asked.

"Three hundred years. Sometimes it seems like it must be longer with all the things that need repairs. Although it certainly makes for interesting spring cleaning. We find all kinds of things behind the furniture. Hundred year old toys, diaries, a love letter or two."

Zaina smiled. "I love living in places like that. We had a winter home in southern France that was like that. I found a diamond necklace that had slipped under a loose baseboard in my room."

Ren chuckled and pointed towards a large old tree. "You see that treehouse way up there? My brothers and I found a chest full of jewelry and coins that had been stolen by servants fifty years ago. Someone must have been caught before they could sell anything, because it was all still there."

"Incredible. Oh, and it's so lush and green up here. I love being in the trees."

He smiled, watching her for a moment. "Princess... I have to ask. Are you aware of what's happened in your kingdom?"

Her smiled faded, and she shook her head. "I've only seen a single newspaper article about it. 'Queen Vicinda takes the Aldovian throne after tragic and violent end of royal line.' It makes me sick."

He nodded solemnly. "Taxes are up fifty percent. She should be charged with murder and stealing millions of pounds." Glancing to her again he said, "And you, no one knew what had happened to you for five years."

Zaina scoffed somewhat bitterly. "Oh yes. I've heard every version of the story. And quite the story it is, isn't it? A princess threatened with playing cards discovers her Princess Charming is working with assassins, loses her shoe at the ball and is forever called the lost Cinderella."

Ren sighed. "It's not right what happened. I'm just glad you got out safely. Both times."

"So am I. Oh... Ren, this is gorgeous." Up ahead, they came to a rise overlooking a small lake. It was early enough that mist was still lingering around it. The lush green trees swayed gently in the breeze, creating a beautiful, dynamic view. She got off her horse to take a breath, trying not to cry after their conversation.

"Isn't it?" He got off his horse as well and went to stand beside her. They looked on in silence for a while, then he turned to her. Tucking her hair behind her ear, he admired her beauty for a moment. "Zaina, you'll be safe here. I only hope that you'll be happy here too."

She looked up at him and was stunned by the intensity in his look. Before she knew what was happening, he leaned down and kissed her.

He pulled away just as quickly, his eyes wide. "Forgive me, I shouldn't have..."

She didn't know what to say, blushing furiously. He was certainly handsome, all their family were, but she didn't know what to feel about them just yet.

He cleared his throat and ran a hand through his hair. "Shall we continue?"

"Right, um, yes. Let's." They mounted their horses, the feeling of his lips on her still lingering.