The Encounter

*4 months & 22 days later*

Leaves crunched under my feet, twigs cracked in the distance and I tightened my grip on my knife, adjusting my pack on my shoulder. The sun beats down on me, my face and arms glistening with sweat and grime. A low growl sounds from somewhere behind me and I pick up my pace, briskly making my way up towards the hill. Hopefully the hill would lead up to, somewhere right? Another growl sounds closer by, and I curse quietly under my breath, looking over my shoulder to see exactly what I didn't want to see. Seven walkers, from what I could tell, were heading my way. I gaze up at the hill, deciding it would be best if I didn't try and climb it right now, not with all of the Walkers around. So instead, I veer off to the left, running as fast as my legs would allow me to go.

Branches scratched at my legs and arms, leaving a stinging feeling in my limbs. I needed to get out of the woods, somewhere out into the open, or at least off the ground where the walkers couldn't get to me. I glance behind me, the walkers now out of sight, and I slow my pace to catch my breath. I must've outrun them. Good. I take off my pack and set it down against the tree in front of me, an idea popping into mind. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I can just climb this tree. I quickly unzip my bag, reaching in to pull out my water bottle and the rest of the small bag of trail mix I had managed to scavenge from the last house raided. I sigh heavily when I realize that the water bottle is almost empty and I hold it in my mouth, putting the trail mix into my back pocket, to free my hands and enable me to climb the tree. I get about three quarters of the way up before stopping, seating myself comfortably on one of the branches. I pull the trail mix out of my pocket, dumping the last of it into my mouth before stuffing the empty bag back into my pocket, where I'd had it previously. I set the water down in my lap, leaning back against the tree, and letting my eyes slip shut. My stomach rumbles and I cross my arms over my midsection, wincing slightly at the still healing scar that ran across my torso.

I open my eyes again, turning my gaze up to the sky, the slowly setting sun casting the sky into a mix of pink, orange and golden yellow hues. It was pretty. If it weren't for the end of the world scenario, it would be a nice place to come and hang out with friends, maybe for a date, but the likeliness of either of those things happening is zero, if not below that. For you see, it wasn't the walkers I was necessarily worried about. If I'm being honest, it's the people that are still alive that I was scared of. The apocalypse has turned people cold, ruthless even, though not to my surprise, but I wanted absolutely no part of it. Not after the last two people I was with. After the incident, I figured I would be better off on my own. I sigh heavily, continuing to gaze up at the sky, the sun sinking further down behind the trees as I get lost in my memories.

- - - - - - - - - - -

When my eyes blink open, the sun is rising up over the top of the trees. The bright light causes me to squint and raise my hand, blocking out the sun's rays and giving me time for my eyes to adjust. For a moment I forget where I am, but upon looking to my left, yesterday's events come crashing back. I rub my eyes, stretching out my stiff limbs, before gazing back down to the ground. My pack was surprisingly still there, untouched by the looks of it. Making my way down the tree, I pause every so often to look around, checking my surroundings for any possible threat. I continue my way down, only freezing when I hear voices. There's four, all male by the sound of them, but nonetheless I quickly climb back up the tree to where I was perched only moments ago. I silently pray that they remain oblivious to my presence, but my heart sinks upon remembering my backpack was still on the ground.

"It's fine," I whisper quietly to myself, "Maybe they're just passing through...hopefully they won't notice"

I stare down at the group of men, watching as they slowly get closer and closer to the tree that I was in. They stop, only a few yards away near the small creek, and giving me a chance to get a good look at them. One of them men seemed to be a bit older, his black hair and scruff giving him a scraggly look. Though to be honest, I'm not surprised, it is the end of the world after all. Nothing at all really stood out with this man except for the obvious panic that was on his face, his white shirt soaked and coated in dirt and...was that blood? Alrighty then.