Chapter 40

"More?" moaned Finn.

Emily winked at the nurse carrying in another bunch of flowers. Her room was beginning to look like the inside of a florist shop. They were running out of places to put them all.

"Let's see which admirer these are from?" offered Finn. There was an edge to his tone, almost as if he was jealous.

All-day long bundles of bouquets, balloons and cards steamed into her room. As each arrangement arrived, Finn announced who they were from by the cards attached. At first, he dutifully read each of the variations of wishes for a speedy recovery. However, The last three were from Griffin, Richard and finally Charlie. As Finn discovered each man's name, his face soured and his voice took on an edge until Emily explained the nature of their relationship was purely friendly.

Emily hoped this last round was from Sophie.

Finn read the card aloud. "D'Artagnan, How dare you go on an adventure without us. The Musketeers. P.S. Ali says team True Blue." Her fiancée raised an eyebrow "The Musketeers? Like The Three Musketeers?"

"Yes," giggled Emily holding out her hand for Finn. "It's a silly joke between Sam, Charlie and I."

Putting down the note, Finn took her offering and pulled up a chair. "Right. Sam and Charlie. More friends who happen to be all guys."

"They're my brothers. Like Lance." Emily rubbed her thumb across the top of his hand.

"Oh...okay." Finn's face softened a little. "Wait, if your D'Artagnan, aren't you missing a Musketeer?"

"The third was Thomas."

"Was?"

The thought Finn would never know Thomas made Emily sad. There was so much Finn didn't know about her life. And so much about his, she needed to know. So many questions waiting for answers.

"It's kind of a long story."

"I have time." Finn looked truly interested.

Emily opened her mouth to tell him everything, explain Thomas was her confident in law, make Finn understand what his family was to her. Maybe broach the conversation they needed to have about the past. She never got the chance. Her older sister barged into the room in a cloud of self-centered turmoil.

"I found your room at last. This place is so confusing..." Mary's words trailed off when she caught sight of Finn. "What's he doing here?"

Finn's hand stiffened in Emily's. She held on tighter in return. "Mary, be nice."

"Be nice?" she scoffed. "It's his fault you're in this place."

Finn's gaze fell to the floor, the guilt rolling off him. Emily had to say something. Defend Finn.

"Mary. Listen to me. Finn rescued me. He's the only reason I'm alive." Her sister seemed ready to say more but Emily wasn't about to let her. "And he is here to stay. So be nice to my fiancée or get out."

Mary's eyes bulged as her mouth opened and closed like a guppy out of water. "Well, I..." She crossed her arms and popped out her hip. "This is rather sudden isn't it?"

Stiff but confident, Finn stood up, still holding Emily's hand and turned to Mary. "More like about time."

"Does father know about this?"

"Do I know about what?" Her father entered the room, trailed by a waddling Beth. Right behind her, as usual, Lance followed, carrying Ben on his shoulders.

Mary spun on her father. "That Emily is engaged. To him." She pointed at Finn as if the clarification was necessary.

The room erupted. Beth wrapped Finn in an awkward hug as Lance swung Ben off his shoulders exclaiming, "Well done, Emily."

Then Beth was hugging Emily and Lance was pumping Finn's arm in congratulations, welcoming him to the family. "It'll be so nice to have some more testosterone at Thursday night dinners."

Ben tugged at his father's shirt, pointing towards a balloon with a cartoon bear sticking out of one of the floral designs. "Mine?" he asked.

While everyone cooed over Ben, Emily spared a glance at her father as her hand searched for the familiar necklace always around her neck. She came up empty. Where was her charm? Her constant? She'd have to ask the nurse where it was. Making a mental note to ask the nurse about it, she smiled at her father instead.

It seemed their heart to heart earlier had done some good as he was no longer openly glaring at Finn. It was a start. Their eyes met and Emily's heart unclenched when her father gave her the slightest of nods.

"Simon," squeaked Mary.

Five sets of eyes turned towards the blonde in confusion. Then they all followed her line of sight to the man framed by the hospital room door. Emily hadn't seen Finn's brother in years, yet she recognized his smiling face. Not as tall as Finn, the two shared the same chocolate brown hair and piercing blue eyes.

"Umm. Hi..." Scanning the room Simon nodded at everyone and after another quick glance at Mary, he stepped into the chaos, a bouquet of pink roses outstretched towards Emily. "These are for you. To cheer you up."

"You're a little late," mumbled her father.

"They're lovely." Ignoring the dig, Emily reached to take the flowers but was intercepted by Mary.

"I'll put them in some water," she offered.

There was a moment where the room went still. Then it erupted once more. Mary rearranging flowers. Her father criticizing her placement attempts. Little Ben squirming in his father's arms, the beginnings of a temper tantrum evident on his face. Lance and Beth scrambling to divert the impending disaster. And Simon and Finn exchanging a prolonged man hug, clapping each other on the back.

Emily closed her eyes and enjoyed the madness. It was good to be home.