Chapter 46

"Where are you going?"

The fear in Emily's voice tore at Finn.  He was going to make damned sure she never felt this way again.

"Getting an extra blanket. I don't want you to be cold."

"I won't get cold if you join me."  Emily patted the empty space beside her.

Sliding into her bed, Finn gladly gathered the woman he loved into his arms, pressing her against his chest. "Better."

"The best."

She rubbed her face against his chest, then her nose and finally started peppering his shirt with small kisses.

"Em," he warned, "We can't. You're injured."

"Finn," she cried, part lust part something else, something desperate, "I can't wait any longer. I need you now."

Trying to gently push her away, she only clung to him tighter wrapping her leg around his waist. "Please," she begged.

Finn could not deny her any longer. He could not deny himself. Shifting Emily so she was fully straddling him, he ran his hands underneath her dress, up her thighs. Soft skin at his fingertips. "Promise you'll tell me if it hurts."

Emily nodded, pulling at his clothing. Finn reluctantly let go of her and assisted Emily in stripping off his shirt. A small "oh" followed as Emily studied his bare chest. She lightly ran her finger across his skin, causing goosebumps to form. When she hit the scar on his shoulder, Emily paused as if afraid to touch it.

He took her finger in his hand and they traced the irregular circle together. "Gunshot wound." Emily flinched. "Doesn't hurt anymore," he added.

She leaned forward and softly kissed the buckled skin. "You'll tell me about this later."  The determination in her voice made it sound like a command.  He liked it.

"If you want."

Emily placed her hand over his heart and met his eye. Silver irises tinged with a hint of blue bore into him. "I want to know everything."

There was a lump in Finn's throat, making it difficult to talk. He nodded instead.

With a nudge Emily maneuvered him towards the edge of the bed until he was sitting with his legs hanging over it. Never loosing eye contact, she removed her underwear, letting it drop to the floor. Then she waited.

Finn reached out and gingerly caressed the back of her thighs. With slow intent he moved his hands under her dress again and cupped her bottom. Emily tilted her head back and inched closer. Acutely aware of her bandages, Finn cautiously slid his hands up her back, raising the dress with them.

Touching the real Emily was a heaven like no other.  She was warm and supple, her skin firm under his fingertips. He felt like he was holding a priceless piece of art.  As he brushed a thumb against her breast, he felt eighteen again.

"Yes," Emily hissed, eyes closed, head still tilted back.

Finn took her instruction and held both her breasts in his hands.  Emily moaned in delight and a long-forgotten fissure of bliss moved through him. From both the sound of her delight and the way his hands still perfectly fit her. While he was lost in thought, Emily clutched at the material still covering her, wrenching the dress off and tossing it away.

Letting go of her, Finn drank in the sight of a naked Emily.  Except for the white square of gauze covering her wound, it was the same Emily.  No, she was more... "Beautiful," he murmured.

Emily was looking down at him, watching him observing her. Reaching out, she ran her fingers through his hair. He jutted forward and placed his lips against her stomach, kissing flushed skin. Then he pressed his cheek against the same spot, holding her hips while she continued massaging his scalp.

His heart threatened to beat its way out of his chest. How had he managed to live without this? The truth was he had not. He felt more alive in this moment than he had on any battlefield.

"Can I open the rest of my present please?" she asked.

Finn stood up and removed the remainder of his clothing, pushing them aside. As he had her, Emily drank him in.

"Beautiful," she whispered.

Finn felt heat on his cheeks. Needing to kiss her, he closed the gap between them, grasping her face between his hands. Emily was shaking slightly and it took Finn a moment to realize his hands were wet with her tears.

"No, my dear, sweet Emily. No more crying." He kissed either side of her face with each word. 

Emily's face crinkled with delight. "Even if they are tears of joy?"

Finn had to shake his head. "You always find the good in everything." And he pressed his body against hers, finally getting the contact he yearned for. He took her mouth with his in a kiss he never wanted to end.

Somehow, they made it back to the bed. Emily pressed against his shoulder and silently asked Finn to allow her to straddle him again. He acquiesced with pleasure, enjoying the warmth of her as she climbed on top of him. Her hard nipples grazed against his chest, making his emerging erection throb in response.

Emily ran her fingers down the center of Finn's torso, over his abdomen and slowly curled the delicate digits around his expectant penis. Still, his breath hitched at the contact. Lifting herself into position, she lowered herself on to him.

As Emily surrounded Finn, the last eight years of longing turned to dust, dissipating into nothing but a memory easily forgotten. She was fire and ice, passion and pleasure, sweet and sexy. It was exquisite. He was home.

They moved in unison, taking their time, savouring every second.  With each thrust, they were stitching their hearts and souls back together.

Blue irises locked on silver. In Emily's eyes infinite possibilities blossomed.  The future, free of fear, presented itself. Finn saw the woman he loved, loving him back.