chapter three

✩ * ⋆ ✧

As you were taking a view of your surroundings and taking everything in, the others in the room were doing the same thing with... well you.

Just as you recognized Jiro, she was also trying to figure out where she had seen you before. You looked to be around her age, so maybe she knew you from school? But she really only interacted with her class, not really paying attention to the others, so she had to know you from somewhere else, but she just couldn't seem to place a finger on it.

"So... tell us more about yourself!" You looked over to see Mina's eyes glimmering in anticipation, waiting to hear your next words.

"Well, there's not much to it I guess..." You start fiddling with your fingers in your lap as you look up to everyone sitting on the couch or in the chairs facing you. This sure isn't intimidating at all, you thought to yourself.

"I grew up here in Japan. I went to a normal high school, since being quirkless didn't leave as many options as other people, before I went to university where I ended up taking 2 and a half years abroad to America before returning back home." As you look around you see the group of strangers in front of you look at you like you have 3 eyes or something because they seem to be so shocked and invested in you. Next to Kaminari, Jiro looked as though she has finally solved a puzzle that she had been trying to complete for months, but was missing the last piece.

"Oh shit! That's where I recognize you from!"

Everyone turned to look over to Jiro, with two different thoughts on their mind. Your's being: 'Where did I recognize her from?', while everyone else's being: 'I don't think I've seen her perk up this quickly to someone we don't even know'.

"I was one of the people who traveled abroad to America my last year at university! Except I only went for a semester while you had already been there for a year. No wonder you looked so familiar! You were the only cool person on that trip!"

Your time in America didn't end very well, hence why you're back in Japan. You honestly had just shut out all the memories that you could from back then, but of course you couldn't just forget everything. You remembered how halfway through your second there, a new batch of students from the university arrived, and you had met Jiro amongst those people. You two instantly connected and ended up having a lot of late night jam sessions whenever you got a break from studying or exploring new scenery.

"Kyoka? Wow, it's really been awhile! Sorry I didn't realize sooner, I tend to try and not think about my years spent over there anymore."

Now all eyes were back on you, and everyone in the room besides Jiro was wondering just how close you two were for you to be using her first name.

"No worries," the purple haired girl assured. "It took me a little bit to figure it out. I'm assuming things didn't go well with that guy or the band then, huh?" Jiro had a look of concern wash over her face.

"Oh you know, just the usual." You tried to reassure that everything was fine with a small smile on your face that she wasn't buying.

"Um, anyway. I guess the only thing left is the instruments I play. I started off playing the drums when I was very little, then learned piano in middle school, guitar in high school, then everything else basically at university." Bakugo's face perked up just a little bit to hear that you started out on the drums, just like he did. "Do you guys have any questions for me?"

"If you don't mind me asking, what did you major in?" Kirishima asked.

"Kirishima, right?" You looked over to him to confirm you got it right, and after a nod and a small grin, you continued answering the question. "My major was in music, and a minor in business."

"Why did you minor in business?"

"Well I didn't really have anything I wanted to do besides music, but I work at this coffee shop and I was always left in charge so I wanted to learn more about management if that makes sense."

"That totally makes sense," he reassured you with a bigger smile.

"Very womanly of you!" The blonde guy with the black lightning bolt streak in his hair commented.

"You can't just steal Kiri's line, Bolty! And it's MANLY, not womanly." Mina said as she reached over Jiro and hit him on the arm.

"Bolty?" You weren't quite sure of what the nickname came from since if you remembered correctly, his name was Kaminari.

"Oh, right!" Mina exclaimed as she jumped up from her spot. "We've been so focused on getting to know you, I forgot we didn't really talk about ourselves! We are..." She looked around to Bakugo as she whispered 'drum roll please' as he grumpily started to give a very uninspiring drum roll on his legs, "The Unpredictables!"

"The Unpredictables?" You looked over the group with a questionable look on your face. You kind of just realized the flyer you got the information off of didn't include their band name.

"Well I guess I should explain why that's our name, it's for 2 different reasons. But before I explain, I think we should hear your demo first!"

You hand over the demo to Mina as she places it in the computer. You never liked being in the room when new people heard your demo, so you politely asked where the bathroom was and made your way out.

As your demo is playing, Mina starts asking Jiro all about you as Jiro silently reminds her to listen to the demo. They all notice it immediately, how much talent you have even just through the demo. While Kirishima and Kaminari were focused on discussing how amazing you were, a certain blonde boy was completely mesmerized by the music playing before him. Though he wasn't focused on whether or not you were good enough to join the band. It was as though he was hearing a voice so familiar to him, despite it being a complete stranger to his ears.

Your voice felt like a sweet melody, one that reminded him of a home that he didn't even know existed. One that felt so out of reach, but was three feet in front of him. He didn't like the feeling that started bubbling in his chest, the feeling that everything was about to change. One thing that Bakugo Katsuki hated more than anything, was change.

He was dragged out of his thoughts when the door reopened, and as soon as you walked into the room, your eyes clicked with his fiery red ones confirming all his worries.

His life was about to change, whether it was big or not, he didn't know. But he wasn't liking the idea.

✩    *     ⋆    ✧

: hope you all enjoyed this chapter! don't worry, I know the ending makes it seems like you guys won't get along with our boom boom boy, but I promise it's not the case.
again, I'm so sorry that I don't update often, I'm trying to write more but lately my mental health hasn't been too great, but I hopefully will be able to update just a little more because I really do love writing.
hope you guys are staying safe