Near Miss

The nest was relatively easy to track down. A few hours research in the town's library records and online real estate and they found an abandoned house surrounded by woods (how original Dean thought) near both previous attacks.

A quick scope of the area and Dean was certain they had the right spot.

Dean raised his machete with one hand and signalled to Cas with the other. Together they slowly inched forward straining their ears for any noises. Dean could hear nothing but his own breath far too steady for someone in his situation. Inching his way to the front door, Dean waved Cas behind him.

Lifting his hand to his mouth Dean whispered, quiet enough that even he himself was unable to hear it “One, Two, Three”. He surged forward using his shoulder to throw the door inward. Blinking he struggled to take in the space before, the sudden loss of light. When his eyes cleared he only had several seconds to take in the small room before him, against one wall there was a hideously patterned floral couch with stains he didn’t want to know where they came from, a Tv on the other and a small kitchen tucked in the corner and off to the side two doors. Before a girl was running at him, arms outstretched, sharp needle-like fangs, already barred.

Dean stepped forward swinging, both hands on the knife as he cut through her head. He barely had time to wipe the blood off his forehead, before there was another vamp running at him screaming. Amateur. Never announce your attack if you're hoping for the element of surprise. The vampire grabbed his knife and Dean pulled the arm linking them forward using his strength to elbow him in the ribs successfully pulling his knife back. The vampire took a step back preparing for another strike, but Dean had managed to swing his blade through his neck before he could.

Dean turned to see Cas struggling to fight a tall muscular man that had wrapped an arm around Cas from behind. Dean stepped forward, but was stopped by a sudden weight on his back. One of the little fuckers had jumped on his back and was now trying to wrap his hands around his neck. Dean fell letting the added weight drop them both to the floor satisfied by the grunt the vamp below him made. Hopefully the creature had cushioned his fall enough he wouldn’t have to worry about his back tomorrow. He struggled to push himself up, giving the vamp time to grab his arm flipping him onto his back. He leered opening his mouth wide enough that Dean could see all of his teeth. Moving. He was moving forward, thankfully Dean still had his machete. He swung upward closing his eyes and lips tightly waiting for the sound of impact. A loud thud echoed along the wood floor followed by Dea’s  grunting as the body collapsed on top of him. Wiggling, he struggled to roll the full grown man off his chest.

Pulling himself upward, Dean scanned the area. Cas was on the other side of the room crouched over the decapitated body of the man he was struggling to fight. There was another vamp slowing inching her way towards him from behind, metal glinting in her hand.

“Cas!!” Dean screamed as he ran, pushing his limbs as fast as he could. Cas looked up. The girl’s eyes were paranoid darting between Dean and Cas as she stepped forward knowing she’d lost the element of surprise. She raised the blade, but before she could swipe downwards, Dean swung putting all his force into his arms, chopping off her head.

Dropping his blade, Dean grabbed the front of his shirt struggling to breath. He looked down at Cas where he was still crouched on the floor. If he was a couple seconds later, Cas could be. Dean’s vision blurred and he struggled not to topple over. Cas could have been. He blinked trying to clear the images frantically appearing in his head. The red that bloomed across Cas’ chest, the crumbling of his limbs as his body fell to the ground, the etching in the earth of his beautiful wings that Dean had always secretly wondered what they looked and now hoped he had never known. And blue. Not the comforting blue of Cas’ eyes that reminded him of warmth and summer, but the unnaturally blue of Cas’ grace as it burned through his eyes and mouth. The blue that glowed luminescent and bright in a way no human thing ever could. The blue that stayed behind Dean’s eyelids as he closed his eyes.