How You See Me || Petekey

"Daddy?" Bronx called from downstairs.

"Yes, Bronx? What's up?" I yelled. I heard little footsteps run around, then come up the stairs. Listening closer, I could hear a pair of heavier footsteps following Bronx up the stairs. Cautiously, I peeked into the hallway waiting for the mysterious figure to come through.

"Daddy?" Bronx said startled.

I jumped up out of my desk chair and ran out of the room. The figure picked Bronx up, using him to cover his face. I snatched Bronx and put him behind me.

"Daddy?" I looked from Bronx to the figure and burst into laughter. There was no figure, just my beautiful husband who didn't tell me he was coming home early.

"I'm home! God, Pete, I missed you." Mikey threw his arms around me, tears crawling down his cheeks.

I laid my head on his shoulder and felt my own tears fall. Bronx wrapped his arms around our legs and pulled us closer to him.

When we pulled away, we wiped our tears and decided to have a movie marathon.

• • •

Halfway through our second movie - Lion King - Bronx leaned up and grabbed the TV remote. He paused the movie and looked at us.

"Why'd you pause the movie, bubs? Bathroom break?" Mikey asked our five year old.

Bronx shook his head no. "Where's Rowan and Kennedy?"

Mikey looked at me with his eyebrows cocked.

"The twins are at Uncle Gee's house. Uncle Frankie wanted the girls today."

"Is Miles born yet?"

Mikey and I shook our heads.

"When is Aunt Jams having him?" Bronx thought about it for a second, then answered "In April, right?"

Mikey nodded. I smiled, proud of Frank and Gerard's family.

"Daddy?"

We both answered, "Yes?" Bronx looked between us and giggled.

"Tell me how you guys met. Please?"

Mikey put his arms around my shoulders and I leaned into him. Bronx climbed into our laps and laid against us as I began the story.

• • •

On night, I was feeling insecure about how I looked. I cried a lot that night. Well I called Uncle Patrick, and told him what was going on. He came over and told me the greatest advice I've ever received:

"Don't worry about how you think you look. Everyone will see you different, but the one will see you for who you are. They will love you because you are their image of perfect beauty." He hugged me before saying, "I love you, Pete."

"Love you too Patrick. Thank you for coming over."

He nodded and left. I laid down, thinking about what he said. I knew he would say the perfect thing to make me feel better. I fell asleep and had the weirdest dream.

It started with me at a table in a nice but mysteriously empty restaurant. The table was set for two and I was wearing my nicest suit. Somewhere in the distance I heard a bell ding, then watched Patrick walk over and sit down.

"Hey, what's going on?"

"Okay here's the thing. This isn't really a dream-" he looked at my nonchalant expression and stuttered out, "wow tough crowd. Well, anyway, you're about to meet your soulmate."

I choked on the water I started to sip on and exclaimed "What the hell?"

Before he responded, Patrick left and the bell rang again. A tall man with glasses walked over and took Patrick's seat.