34

Cullen's POV

This year has been the worst year for me. I lost a child, and I lost my girl. I had to break the news to my parents about our pregnancy and then immediately about the loss. Thankfully, they were understanding and offered their support. The first few months Avery was gone, I went to work and returned to Tarran's to eat then sleep. I was like a robot. My heart was in pieces, and nothing seemed to help.

I had reached out to Avery several times, but she never responded. She had also shut down all her social media so that I couldn't spy on her from afar either. I suppose it felt some better knowing she was shutting everyone out and not just me, but it made me more worried for her. My stomach churned when I realized Liam had gone abroad with her and would be staying with her in the same house. It did provide some relief when he would give Tarran vague updates, though.

 After half the year had passed, the ache had subsided some. I kept busy with work, keeping up with Tuck, spending any free time with Tarran, and working on the house I finally bought. It was a bit of a fixer-upper, but I was putting some of my handyman skills to good use, and it kept me from dwelling too much on what I was missing.

"Cullen, you here?" Tarran called out to me as she came into the house. She brought some Christmas décor over to spruce the place up as Christmas was only five days away and it was bare.

"Yeah, kitchen." I finished the work on the cabinet doors, putting them all back into place after refinishing them.

"Looks great in here." She smiled, sitting bags down onto the kitchen table.

"Thanks. How are you?" I asked, knowing she had been working non-stop due to the Holidays and working on her classes.

"I'm good. Glad to have a few days off finally. Millie is going to meet us here in a few hours when she gets off." She smiled. I dusted myself off and threw my tools back into the box as I finished. "I also heard some news recently that you might be interested in."

"And that is?" I questioned, raising my brow at her.

"Apparently, Avery has been trying to reach me. She's coming home today." She stated matter of fact. My breath caught for a moment, and my heart started to speed up, but I took a deep breath, reminding myself that she left me and hadn't reached out to me at all.

"She texted Millie a few days ago and asked how we all were. Millie let her know that I had to change my number, and she told Millie that she would be home soon and would love to see us." She raised her brows excitedly at me, smiling.

"That's nice." I tried to hide my excitement and disappointment at the same time. I had finally begun to heal a little after everything with Avery.

"Cullen! She's coming back, and it sounds like she's coming back like I said, healed and better than ever!" She was way too optimistic.

"Tarran, I can't. I'm just going to keep doing me; if she reaches out, then I guess we'll see. I mean, my number hasn't changed, and she hasn't contacted me." I complained. She rolled her eyes at me. I changed the subject, and we began talking about the Christmas decorations she brought, and thankfully it got her to start pulling things out and off the topic of Avery for now.

Avery

"So, how's everything?" I asked as I separated my clothes into piles in my room. Everything looked the same as I left it; the only difference was Stacia's room was empty.

"Averland Grace! Really?! You're just going to start like that!" She fussed.

"What?! How am I supposed to start?" I shrugged.

She stepped to me, wrapping me in yet another hug. "How have you been? We were all so worried about you; I've missed you so much. Mom and Dad have been missing you."

"I missed you all as well. I really did. I'm good. I'm good, finally." I smiled at her.

We spent the next few hours talking, catching up, and me explaining everything to her. It felt great to be home, great to explain everything to her finally, and even better, feel like myself again. To celebrate our return home, we were all planning to meet up for dinner tonight.

"Did you invite Tarran and Millie?" I asked as I curled my hair.

"Yep." She popped the p.

"Anyone else?" I questioned, trying to see if Cullen made the list.

"Did I invite Cullen? That's what you want to know, right?" She turned to me.

I felt my cheeks warm up. "Yes, I was trying to see about Cullen. I haven't spoken to him," I said quietly. "Has he moved on?" I was terrified of the answer.

"I did extend an invitation to him through Tarran. As far as I know, he has not. He works like non-stop, and when he isn't working, he's apparently at his house fixing it up."

"His house?" I asked, surprised.

"Yes, he bought a house. Every time we all get together to hang out, I would include him, but he never came. Tarran would always say he was working or working at the house."

"So, you haven't seen him since I left?" I asked.

"I saw him a handful of times. His friend Tuck came in shortly after you took off, I think, to help him through everything. We got together once at Froggie's. But that was a few months after you left." She explained as she dug through my closet, trying to find something she could borrow to wear. "Do you still love him?" She asked, turning to me, trying to read my face.

I paused for a moment. I was looking at my reflection in the mirror. "I do. But I'm scared that I hurt him too badly."

"You did hurt him bad. You hurt all of us, Avery. Lucky for you, we all love you. We knew you needed time, though, and while it may take a minute to get back to how it was, we will get there." She kissed my forehead. "I'm wearing this!" She held up a red dress that I didn't even realize I owned. I shook my head at her and continued getting myself ready.