12. Derek's Tragedy

"It stems back from the day we were born." He said and blew out some smoke.

"He's my big brother. He's heir to the family company. He fucking has it all. Everyone is always doting on him. It's a huge responsibility. He never had time to make friends, meet new people, or go play outside like all the other kids. He's been confined to study rooms and fucking piano lessons. He didn't have a normal life. He was always seen as the Alpha's heir, not a human being. I've been born as Derek's little brother. No one paid me any attention. I had all the freedom in the world, meanwhile Derek had all the responsibility. I had no one to guide me. He had everyone planning out his every move. That's how it is. I envy his life. The attention. The responsibility. He has a freaking purpose. All I was ever asked to do was stay out of his way. I had money and freedom, yet what the hell am I even living for. As much as I envy him, I know he feels the same. He saw me grow up with friends and freedom and everything he couldn't possibly have. We're two faces of a coin. I'm the free one with no damn purpose. He's the one with a life goal, yet he has nothing else." He explained. He was lying down on the bed and looking up at the ceiling the whole time. He sat back up and looked at me, his eyes full of pain.

"Then comes Rachel." He muttered and looked down. "We met in high school. She was the definition of a good girl. She had high grades, minded her own business, was always timid, and she always had a cute smile on her face. I was the high school fuckboy. I mean, why not? I had money, I didn't need to study, I spent my time in the gym, and I had almost all the girls cling onto me. We met in biology class. I still remember how cute she got when she blushed. Her innocence and purity pulled me in. I started forgetting all about all the other girls. She talked me into actually studying, even though I could get into any university regardless. She said I need to be educated." He said with a chuckle.

"I started getting my grades up for her, just to feel fucking worthy for that bitch." He clenched his jaw as he spoke.

"After a few months of me chasing her and trying to get her to date me, she finally accepted. Those few months we spent dating felt like a dream. She was the perfect girlfriend. Then, she met Derek. Few weeks later she broke up with me. 'We're just not meant to be.' She said." He whispered the last part and I saw a tear drop to the floor. I quickly put my hands on his face and put his head up. He had tears in his eyes and it broke my heart. I never saw him that vulnerable. I pulled him in and hugged him close. He wrapped his arms around me and I heard him sob. He was broken. I put my hand to his head and slowly played with his hair as he cried in my arms.

"I'm here." I whispered and tried to comfort him.

"The bitch left me for him." He said in between sobs.

"Please calm down. She doesn't deserve you Zach." I told him and held him tight. He got out of my arms and wiped a few tears away.

"I never used to smoke or drink. I would rarely just take a cigarette or two every once in a while. She gave me purpose. She made me try and be the best version of myself, away from all my fucked up daddy issues." He sloppily smiled in despair as he spoke.

"Derek stole the only thing that mattered to me." He said and looked me straight in the eyes. "Nothing fucking matters now." He told me in all seriousness. His eyes and face were red and he had the most heartbreaking expression of desperation.

"Zach, can I please have that blunt?" I asked. He looked at it and shook his head.

"Please, Zach." I urged. He didn't budge. I slowly took it away from him and he took in a deep breath. I quickly dropped it and stepped on it. I looked around and grabbed a tissue from his nightstand. I picked the blunt up, wrapped it in the tissue, and threw it away.

"Thanks." He said with a small sad smile.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. Sorry you had to see that." He apologized. I took his hand in mine and he looked up at me.

"You had my back ever since I met you. I don't think you need to be apologizing." I said. His eyes were becoming less puffy and he looked a little better.

"Hey, I think I need to go home." I reminded him. His expression changed to one of concern.

"There's no way you're staying there tonight." He said.

"Call Jade or Serena. See if you can stay there." He suggested. I nodded and got my phone out. I called them both and checked. He looked at me in anticipation. I hung up with Jade and looked at him in disappointment.

"They're both busy." I told him.

"What? With what?" He asked.

"Jade said she won't be home tonight. She's spending the night at her grandmother's house. Serena's mom has a fever and she's busy taking care of her." I explained. "Hey, it's fine. Just take me home and I'll take care of it." I insisted. He looked defeated and got up. We both knew I couldn't spend the night here. It'd be weird. I followed him to his car. Luckily, we didn't meet anyone in our way down. We got in the car and silently went back to my house. I was surprised he didn't light any cigarettes. I had my eyes closed the whole way there, preparing myself. We got there and I got out the car. Zach also got out and rushed over to me before I knocked.

"Rose! Take my number incase anything happens." He called out. I took my phone out my pocket and handed it to him. He put his number in and gave it back. "Call me if anything happens." He ordered and put his hands on my shoulders. I nodded and he let go. I observed him enter the car and he gave me a final glance before leaving. We both knew if they saw him again it'd do more bad than good.

Here goes.

I knocked on the door and prayed under my breath. The door opened and the smell of smoke and liquor was worse than ever before. I was harshly dragged in and shoved onto the floor. The two figures loomed over me.

"Let's see where that big talk got you. Huh, bitch!?" My mother yelled and kicked me in the stomach. I grunted and I felt a punch in my jaw. I yelled out in pain and the kicks kept coming. I heard the door slam shut as I curled up in a ball, trying to cover my aching stomach. The room was dark and I could hardly see anything to dodge. I heard glass shatter and I felt something sharp pierce the skin on my back. I screamed in agony. I got on my knees and quickly thrashed around until I found the piece of glass stuck in my back. I pulled it out and cried out hysterically.

"Hurts! Doesn't it bitch?!" My father yelled and kicked me in the face. I got the air knocked out of me and I fell on the glass pieces from my mother's liquor bottle. I felt the glass scratch me in various places. I instinctively lifted my head so it doesn't get scratched as well. My mother pulled my hair up and I cried in pain from my stinging scalp. I couldn't see well from all the tears in my eyes. I felt a piece of glass pierce my arm and it continued cutting my skin all the way from my shoulder to my elbow. My screams flooded the room.

"Please! Stop!" I yelled in sobs.

"Threaten us again bitch! Where did all the threats go!" He yelled and finally removed the glass from
my arm. He threw it away and slapped me. My mother let go of my hair and I fell down again onto the floor. I felt hysterical. They both left me after yelling out many curses and disappeared in the hall. I sobbed in pain and despair. I started seeing everything darken as I screamed out in agony for what felt like hours.